New form of solid matter - Upsalite

Could this material improve battery performance?

Posted by Tim De Chant on Mon, 12 Aug 2013 Accidental Experiment Solves Century-Old Chemistry Problem Researchers in Uppsala, Sweden accidentally left a chemistry experiment run ning over a long weekend. When they returned to the lab, they discovered th at their reaction chamber that was previously filled with high-pressure CO2 , magnesium oxide, and methanol contained a mysterious gel. The chemists ha d been trying to make magnesium carbonate (MgCO3), which is a white powder. It turned out that the gel was caused by trapped methane bubbles, and when they boiled it off, the gel disintegrated into the white powder they were seeking. They named it Upsalite. But the resulting product was even better than they had hoped for. Here s Andrew Bissette, writing for Ars Technica: Upsalite has impressive properties as a desiccant, absorbing water better t han the much more expensive materials that are currently used (called zeoli tes). Most of the absorbed water is retained when Upsalite is transferred f rom a humid to a very dry environment. The dry form can be regenerated by h eating to 95 °C. By contrast, most zeolites need to be heated to over

150 °C in order to dry them. Not only is Upsalite easy to make and reu se, but it is also not toxic to humans, which makes it suitable for use in humidity control indoors. Upsalite?s unique properties result from its porous structure. Unli ke crystalline forms of MgCO3, Upsalite has an impressive internal surface area that?s ideal for absorbing and holding water. Photo: Magnesite is a naturally occurring form of magnesium carbonate. Howe ver, its crystalline structure doesn't give it the same properties as Upsal ite. Upsalite isn?t the only material that?s been discovered aft er an ?accident? in the lab. Another is Gorilla Glass, whic h covers the faces of most smartphones. It was first produced in 1952 after a furnace in a Corning lab overshot its intended temperature by 300? C. Because of a broken temperature gauge, we now have scratch-resistant cel l phone displays.
Reply to
Greegor

Upsalite (I hope it's pronounced "Oopsalite") is interesting stuff, but I can't see offhand how it would improve battery performance. Maybe if it were used to absorb the goo from leaking batteries?

Teflon was a happy accident too, and Gorilla glass was mentioned in the article. Any others come to mind?

Sometimes I think researchers ought to go back through well-known material production processes to see if other happy accidents are possible by altering some of the production parameters.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

And then there is the infamous kitchen oven accident that produced vulcanized rubber. Another accident produced compounds from noble gasses (and something elese which i forgot). "Impossible" compounds of noble metals and gasses were all discovered by accident.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I was thinking of the huge surface area aspect, which was part of the reason that carbon nanotubes are expected to improve battery technology. Would Upsalite (magnesium carbonate) be compatible with any battery chemistry technologies? The photo micrographs look a bit like brain matter with lots of folding to get a lot of surface area in a given volume.

Reply to
Greegor

Possible first cut for a positronic brain where that surface is used for charge storage?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Way back in my University days, the current buzz was that 'soon' we would have solid-state lasers. But attempts to make them at the time only resulted in fairly dim red light emitters. Most were discarded as failures. Now we have LEDs...

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

'You gon'a pull a rabbit out'a that hat, Bullwinkle?'

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell