Solid Capacitors

Gigabyte Launches 'Solid-Capacitor' Motherboard Line

"solid capacitors offer much higher quality and better reliability when compared to their electrolytic counterparts"

"solid capacitors contain a "solid" organic polymer as opposed to the liquid electrolyte used in electrolytic capacitors."

Comments? Recommended part numbers?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

On a sunny day (9 Jan 2007 01:27:44 -0800) it happened "Winfield Hill" wrote in :

Solid capacitors also last longer with an average lifetime of 23 years compared to only three for electrolytic capacitors, according to Gigabyte.

Except for some here 23 years is about from before the dinosaurs in computer life. I dunno what these are, but I had one request for something that required 10 years lifetime guarantee for the electrolitics, but could not find any.... (years ago). So I would like to know.

Maybe it is tantalum?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

life.

years

ago).

A little google

GPG

About half the electrolytic capacitors on the year old motherboard in the computer I am typing on are 'solid' it isn't anything new.

Sanyo OS-CON SEP and SEPC series. Seem to have about 1/7th the ESR and 7 times higher ripple current rating than a typical low ESR capacitor of the same volume. Also claim very long life at moderate temperatures.

nospam

On a sunny day (9 Jan 2007 03:02:34 -0800) it happened "GPG" wrote in :

life.

years

ago).

Looks good, now who sells these? Googling for that so far zero. Maybe just grab these from a Gigabite mobo ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:18:00 +0000) it happened nospam wrote in :

Thank you, new for me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Found:

from 2002.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

At first, the website sounded like audiophool hype, but I bothered to google for "solid capacitor" and, imagine my surprise, there is such a thing! And not even tantalum! ;-)

I haven't bothered to look any deeper, like look at capacitance/volume ratios, which might be an interesting datum. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You can find reasonably priced polymer electrolytics at Digikey from Panasonic, Nichicon and UCC ( 'ncap'). Both radial cans and smd.

RL

Reply to
legg