Re: Moving to new form of usenet ideas?

It's the same problem as with email, which is largely solved, for those who care, by filters in servers and client software. This could be done completely independently of any protocol or user behavior in usenet. It would, however, require an investment by _somebody_, likely the ISPs, but since usenet is so lightly used compared to email I wouldn't hold my breath.

Again, if you want people to take you seriously or get behind you, have a proposal that makes sense that provides a genuine means to get you (and a lot of others) something of benefit. Just showing up, spamming a bunch of disinterested newsgroups with an OT message, and complaining without any apparent clue of how to solve the stated problem is just going to, well, just has, annoy people.

> Moderated groups tend to be dull or totally dead. The cure is worse >> than the disease. >> >Yes, I have noticed. That is why some type of self moderating idea would >work better. That is, by keeping track of the regular users(the hard part >then is spoofing problems) then it would allow them to vote on some of the >problems that moderation is suppose to solve.

That's a death-knell for usenet. The beauty of usenet is that most groups are unmoderated and belong to no-one. If you want a moderated forum there are web-apps for that or discussion groups that already exist. Why take away the big benefit of usenet to make it just like everything else that has popped up?

Who picks your "self-moderators"? How much authority do they have? How do you police the moderators? It sounds like a way to create another Wikipedia-like disaster.

Maybe not the best method but just an idea. I'm sure there are better ones. >Point was to bring up the issues to get a discussion about it and get the >ideas flowing to improve on something. A lot of people seem to have taken >offense to this.

You've gotten the discussion going. You should listen to the responses rather than discounting them.

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Eric Jacobsen

The solution is PIOEP (Poison ivy over Ethernet Protocol). Absolutely guaranteed to instantly eliminate any and all undesirable emails, spam, and newsgroup posts.

See

, example 5

--
Many thanks,