PVC Enclosures?

Hi,

I'm making a case for an embedded PC and am looking at using a 10mm thick PVC sheet I have. I've heard rumours that PVC can store charge and so isn't ideal for an enclosure. Would I be better making it out of something else or even just insulating it? I'll be spacing the board with nylon pillars so it won't be in direct contact but it is a noisy environment (car) and so I want to be extra careful.

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Get a can of conductive paint and spray a little of it on the inside.. also, you can get antistatic spray...

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

I might have the perfect solution for you at the office.? I just can't recall the name of the company. If I do, I'll log back in and send it.

Anyway, they make extruded aluminum enclosures. You can select from multiple sizes, and end caps. If you luck out, you might not even need posts. You can just slide the circuit board into grooves on the inside edges of the enclosure(?). I want to say the name is "Stanley", but I know that's not right. For years, I have wanted to build a product that uses these things, but it just never seems to happen.

I'll be back in the office Tuesday, if you can wait that long. In the meantime, here's a link:

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Maybe you're thinking of Hammond? They have some smart looking cases.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

No, not Hammond. They do make some slick products. We use a bunch of their EJ series enclosures. Which are a hell of lot cheaper than Hoffman! (or, insert name here.)

No, the thing I'm thinking is really super, super slick for an enclosure. I guess Alzheimers is sitting in because for the life of me I can't recall the name. Oddly, I know the exact layout of the brochure, the part number format, heck, I've even ordered samples from them.

Watch, as soon as I hit submit it'll come to me.....

(It's not Pak-tek either, but they make some good stuff too.) -mpm

Reply to
mpm

Hi Mike

reason why we have grounded metal covers is to ensure that there is no electromagnetic interference. Secondly, PVC can develop static charges which may dissipate to the components. Considering the fact that there are sensitive components within, it may be unsafe to do so. I am in the shipping industry and we generally do not take such chances. Anyway I hope there would be someone who could find a solution for u! There are some links on static electricity on my website though....

Cheers too! Elstan Web master & founder -

elstan

mpm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

How about OKW?:

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

PVC isn't the worst stuff in the world but it sucks rocks in high-heat high-ozone environments... e.g. a car.

PVC and acrylic both pick up static charge very readily... there are sprays to help reduce the effect.

Why in the world are we even talking about plastic? A small modicum of sheet metal will do the job too, right? If you are concerned about keeping noise out, even better than sheet metal are the die-cast aluminum boxes with overlapping lips.

A far more robust approach is to start with an already existing PC/104 board and matching case. It's all industrial-duty stuff, and is designed to fit together from the get-go. Power supplies specifically rated for automotive/truck environments are easily available in the PC/

104 world.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

thick

isn't

else or

it

want

I was looking for info about Ozone reacting with PVC, but can't seem to find any. What sort of effects have you noticed? I'm just about to order and install about 400' of sch 80 PCV piping, in which some will carry fairly hot water (145 deg F), in an environment with electrostatic ionizers that will produce small amounts of ozone.

Reply to
Jeff L

Thanks, but I'm in the UK I'm afraid....

Reply to
Michael

Thanks, but can't I just ground the PVC to dissipate the charge?

Reply to
Michael

I only asking about PVC sheet as I have lots left over from a project and so was to hand. I'm also on tight on space as it has to be installed in the glovebox so finding a ready made case (already looked at existing automotive PC cases) isn't really an option.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Tight space? Why not install it behind the glovebox? Just remove the glovebox and you'll find that you could fit a huge amount of extra equipment behind the dash. A small PC case should be possible in most cars.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You could but PVC is a non-conductor so you would have to ground the entire inside surface, hence the spray idea. You could try to line heavy foil around the interior, but this method won't survive many disassembly times.

Reply to
giblin.m

Michael snipped-for-privacy@QmQhQiQmQsQ.QcQoQ.QuQkQ posted to sci.electronics.design:

That might work if PVC were conductive, it happens to be a decent insulator. To dissipate the charge you need a conductive / resistive coating, something like heavily graphite filled epoxy ink.

Reply to
JosephKK

You could try: miller-stephenson "RFI Conductive Coating" spray paint. #MS-485

Don't know if it's still available, my can maybe 15 years old (or more).

Kevin

Reply to
Speedskater