Need a cheap source of 1/4-40 panel nuts

Usual suspects (mouser, small parts, mcmaster carr) no got.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I think the problem is Digikey's search engine. Look at the hardware at the bottom of page 1659:

John Popelish

They slipped a decimal place or two on their pricing. Thanks for the lead, but waaaaay to costly.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

What sort of volume are you looking for?

Reply to
John Popelish

mcmaster carr got.

Machine Screw and Hex Nuts Hex Brass Nickel-Plated 5/16"W 1/16"H

91862A517 1.83 per Pack of 10

About the same as digikey - 0.18 ea in quantity.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

There has to be an Asian source. Have you asked on sci.electronics.components?

--
.
.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Check MSC Industrial Supply Co., they are usually cheaper on hardware stuff.

maxfoo

A thousand or two. Maybe more.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
1/4-40?
Reply to

Hmm, that almost looks like the thread size of the mandrel of my dremel tool?

1/4 inch shaft, 40 threads per inch.
Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

Is there really a 1/4 - 40 size? Man! That's a fine thread for such a large diameter!

Or did the OP mean 4-40?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim, it is the standard thread for what we call a "miniature" toggle switch, the kind that mounts in a ¼" hole.

OP, try "Taiway Switch" in Taiwan. Sandy Yen is the contact. snipped-for-privacy@taiway.com They call it a STD-100 nut for the regular hex nut 0.062" thick. THey also have dress nuts in the same thread if you want it to look pretty.

It has been a long time since I bought them, but it seems to me that at the

1000 level they were less than a nickel apiece.

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

i made an extension once to use a dremal 3 jaw chuck in a conventional drill press, if memory servers, i think i set the lath up for 40 TPI on

1/4 stock. I've seen 56 TPI , i'm sure there are others.
Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

No, panel nuts for miniature switches are quite thin, so require a fine thread. For example, a nut is about .08" thick, with 3 turns of 1/4", 40tpi, thread engagement.

Reply to
James Waldby

That thread size is used on miniature toggle switches and some other panel mount thingies. The fine pitch allows the nuts to be thin.

Reply to
John Popelish

That's a fine thread for such

Jim, FYI 1/4-80 exists and is commonly used as adjustment screws on optical mounts.

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

They have a lot of stuff not listed, and do custom. They were one of the main hardware sources for Microdyne, and we used a lot of weird, electronics only hardware. We used SS almost exclusively.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, the big skinny ones that mount pots and rotary switchex by their shaft bushings.

I seem to have found something in 15/32-32:

scroll down about 2/3 page - they've got one called "Knurled switch nut,

15/32-32", for $0.50, and one called "Hex switch nut, 15/32-32", for $0.25 .

These look very much like the ones I believe OP is talking about; usually they come with the part.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 02:05:02 +0000, Rich Grise wrote: ...

Never mind. This is nowheres near 1/4. I guess my head was in 1967 or something. ;-)

Sorry. Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise