cheap 200A AC to DC power supply?

I want to power 10 thermoelectric heat pumps at once from wall power. (120VAC 60Hz). Ripple is somewhat important for these, but precise voltage and current regulation is not. Each heat pump draws 17A at full power, plus I need some extra current for fans, pumps, etc.. The heat pumps need about 17V at full power. So I need an AC to DC power supply which takes 120VAC 60Hz and outputs 17V at up to 200A. Could someone point me in the right direction here? It needs to cost less than $200. Ripple hurts these heat pumps but if its very slow I dont think it will matter, even if its a couple volts. Current can vary up to say an amp.

Reply to
acannell

That's under 6 cents per watt, about a fourth the going rate for a cheap power supply.

What's the application? It's going to dump a lot of heat somewhere.

John

Have you calculated the coefficient of performance of 10 thermoelectric heat pumps? 0.15 or so is typical with liquid cooled heatsinks. Much less otherwise.

These are generally TOTALLY USELESS above the one watt level.

Because the temperature RISE above their heatsink over ambient will GREATLY EXCEED their temperature drop across the module.

See

for a detailed analysis.

Would a vortex cooler work instead?

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

For what purpose?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

that's a 3.4KW dc powersupply, why would you want to power that from 120V something like that typically gets a 240V or three phase supply,

if you need active cooling a mechanical heat pump may perform better. probably cost less too.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)

Reply to
Tony

The filter needs to be pretty good, otherwise the quickly fluctuating temperatures cause mechanical stresses which severly reduce the lifespan of the Peltier elements.

Reply to
Arlet

That's bollocks. You'll have to have a huge LF ripple to kill your TECs. Any decently (read not completly screwed) designed PWM supply will give you as long a lifespan as a DC battery.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

That's what I mean. You'll need a real supply, not just a rectifier and a few big caps.

Reply to
Arlet

On a sunny day (17 Nov 2006 20:48:47 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@wwc.com wrote in :

Can you put the pumps in series? If so rectify 120V AC gives you 169.7 V DC, 10 x 17V pumps in series at

17A total, riplle depends on the cap size. 4 20A 400V diodes, one huge electrolytic.

If you cannot put the pumps in series you better use separate power supplies. If you can, modify some PC power supplies, so these give 17V, 10A (170VA). (put 12V in series with the 5V). That will be a cheap solution, PC power with 12V > 17A can be found for less then 50$ each, discount for 10 ;-)

But your data is confusing, at one point you sat 17A, then 10A. So check again what you have.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Even that will do unless you have a so small cap that the ripple is more than 5-10%. The pb associated with ripple are:

- loss of cooling efficiency

- if your ripple is too low in frequency WRT thermal inertia, like when you're thermal cycling your TEC with a ON/OFF thermostat then you may reduce its life.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Nope. Ripple is even worst, because the ripple troughs HEAT much more than the ripple peaks COOL.

Your useless COP then becomes an outright joke.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

The point remains that all he will end up with is a giant HEATER. A bonfire would be a lot faster and cheaper.

Thermoelectrics are utterly useless above a very few watts.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

A co-worker was using one of those in car coolers as a small fridge, off a

12 V auto battery charger. It wasn't cooling much. I added a large electrolytic (souvenired from an old printer) and it started to freeze up. We ran it on the 6V setting after that.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Sure that's a lot of heat and inefficient is the keyword that stick to TECs. But I don't know if it's useless or not; this just depends on the application.

--
Thanks,
Fred.