engineer fuel

Somehow I've become responsible for keeping the goodie jar full. This is about $40 worth from Walgreens; it might last a week.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Engineer_Fuel.JPG

John

Now what did Arnold just say about healthy eating ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I didn't see any Trail Mix there ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Mien Gott im Himmel! That tells me you have _young_ engineers and are tossing them, in effect, peanuts -- only worse. What you have there is cheap, it is packaged in bite sizes, keeps forever, and it is lethal!

If you had anyone over 40 or so, you'd have to feed them this:

or this, if you were looking for a little 'complexity':

(With only vinegar and maybe extra virgin olive oil available.)

Egads!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Chocolate is good for you. And it doesn't keep for long around here.

And I toss them a lot more than peanuts, although they tend to ravage my jar of Planters honey-roasted beer nuts, too.

People over 40 don't like chocolate? And prefer sour citrus fruits?

They can eat whatever they like for lunch. Today we went to the gyros place across from City Hall.

John

Costco is your friend.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

In fact, I am missing brandy beans :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Leftovers from last Halloween????

Tom P.

Reply to
tlbs101

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Dollar Tree is great for affordable snacks. They even have a half way decent selection of sugar free snacks.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

one: (928)428-4073

El Fumarole is unobtanium?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Ah! I would never have thought of that! About all we buy there is toothpicks and some sort of cleaning solution (name escapes me at the moment)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love chocolate. If it is of decent quality, you might be right that it is good for you, too.

hehe.

Never said that.

No, just prefer not to get obese sitting in a chair doing engineering at a workbench.

Well, of course they can. Nicer if the boss provides snacks that won't kill them! That cheap, volume-manufactured stuff is dangerous, though. Even to youth.

Make them some quality chocolates, and do it by hand with ingredients you can swear by. I'd recommend the Hungarian Rhapsody I make -- no flour, the cakes are made with finely ground nut meal from nut trees on my property, made with egg whites from chickens I raise here, free-ranged only and fed flax supplements, and the chocolate frosting is unbelievable and includes butter I make from nearby cows.

Okay, so it takes two hours to make well. But it can be done in volume. And most of it I can personally vouch for.

I don't trust much food produced for millions of people at a time. Too many bad temptations for manufacturing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

.

Wow, where do you live Jon and can I* come for a visit?

Seriously I like the idea of buying food that has no more than 5 ingredients listed on the package.

George H.

  • (I includes my wife and two kids.)
Reply to
George Herold

Factory-produced food is probably far safer than old-fashioned village stuff, especially as regards bacterial and parasite problems. Raw milk and home-made cheeses are notorious killers.

John

You do have to get the jar with the broken thermometer on it.

Hard to find because of the injunction restraining order from the Tapioca Pudding Institute.

Try

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Needs more dark chocolate...

True story - Back when I was interviewing with Microsim, it was looking like a pretty good place to work. I would have an office, not a cube. They had free sodas in the fridge, the people were pretty nice. Then, I walked into the manager's office - there, on the credenza with a really big knife was a 20 pound bar of Gharadelli (SP?) dark chocolate. If you wanted some, yoiu walked in, and cut off a piece. I knew I had found a home... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Probably 'Awesome' cleaner. It actually does what it claims. Being Diabetic, I get a lot of small blood stains on my clothes and it will usually remove them without damaging the fabric. I also use their bottles of spray bleach on used and weathered wood to remove stains.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Hehe. Sure. Oregon. Very close to Mt. Hood.

When I have to buy, then me too. I don't like to buy anything prepared, though. I grind flour and oats and barley by using a hand mill. I get pork from a lady who lives about

3 miles away and where I can visit and see how she treats her pigs. I get milk and cream from a nearby farm with just two cows to take care of. (I may get a cow, myself, but it has been years and I know about how much space and work they are... so I'm happy for now letting someone else do that. I used to use a hand-crank separator back when I was a kid mucking stalls and milking cows and doing the separation with that kind of a table-mounted centrifuge, hanging two buckets on it. But that was many years ago.)

I remember when my grandma (born in the 1800's of course) used to get "store-bought" eggs after she'd moved into the city for work. She was a cook, when she worked a job. But at her house she'd be doing a fast-order deal for the grandchildren there, making scrambled or over easy eggs, for example. When she'd crack and egg and drop it in, if the yolk broke in the process she'd just flip it into the garbage and get another egg. I never thought much about that, back then as a kid. But when I got my own chickens (and I've had them off and on now for perhaps 25 years and more) I began to see why. Eggs get old and when they do, the yolk barrier gets very weak. You can tell age, that way. Today's eggs at the store are _very_ weak. When I take one of MY chicken eggs out of the hen house now, I can crack it open and let it drop from about 3' above the floor and the yolk will not break. Buy a store egg and not a single one of them will survive 12" let alone 3'.

Does that mean anything? I didn't know, so I went and talked to a regional produce head at one of the larger grocery chains in our state (it's a national concern, but the regional guy I spoke with had responsibilities across Oregon and parts of Washington.) He informed me that eggs are stored prior to sale, to account for variations in sales throughout the year. Some are fresher than others, of course. But they can stored quite some time before sale. I'd rather not say how long he told me, because things change and that discussion was about 10 years back. But suffice it that I was rather shocked by the numbers.

Apples, those processed through the massive, commmercial associations in Washington State (and there is more than one very large growers' coop there) are stored in several kinds of cold storage methods they originally developed many years ago in order to create a year-'round market for apples. In my youth, you got apples when they were ready -- September and October, mostly. And no other time. There was always the possibility of shipping from New Zealand, on occasion. Which provided some apples at other points in the year, once in a while. But shipping was expensive and took a while and the apples weren't quite as good, and expensive. So the Washington growers ponied up enough money to solve a storage problem... and over time came up with several methods that are used today. Now, even the New Zealand apples are shipped into their storage systems _before_ distribution. And the process wrecks the apples, to my mind. Depends on the apple

-- for example, Fuji's survive the process much better than the old Delicious types do. Same storage system applied to both causes one to become almost unusable and the other almost decent to eat. Which is part of why Fuji's are so popular. They are still cold-stored like all get-out, though. After a VERY LONG discussion with the official spokesman for the largest apple growers association in Washington, a discussion that was weeks in the making by the way, I finally managed to get a deeper understanding.

Apples you buy with a Washington label on it (and this doesn't mean every single such label, as there are clearly more than one association operating there and they don't all do the same thing as each other, all the time) can be held in storage as long as 24 months and more. Most, much less, of course. But the average keeping time is about 8 months to 12 months, depending upon prevailing markets and demand.

The laws were changed, too. They were changed to allow the apple growers to market apples as "new crop" during the September, October, and November periods when fresh apples enter their processing systems. If a box of apples shipped to a grocer has as little as 10% actually fresh apples in it, the whole box can be sold as "fresh crop." It's not. But that's the law.

I had quite an argument with him, getting him first to admit it and then afterwards in trying get him to realize that such labeling was profoundly flawed. He defended it as necessary and that it "protected consumers." I couldn't believe my ears and asked him, "What consumer of apples realizes that as little as 1 in 10 might be fresh, when the label says it is fresh, for god's sake? What consumer is _protected_ by this? It's the kind of law that would be _written_ by apple growers, not by consumer advocates? Do you know of any consumer advocate that might legitimately argue this kind of rule protects any consumer at all??"

He was speechless for a moment and we soon ended the nearly

90 minute phone call after that.

But that is where we are, today.

ADM and large 'farming concerns' are, and have been ever since I was a child, been processing _out_ vitamins from what grains they grow. It probably started with the craze for vitamin E, many many years ago, if not earlier. But there was SO MUCH MONEY to be made there. And extracting it from wheat was very profitable. Still earlier, the US had been trying to do the 'healthy thing' by requiring "enrichment" to make sure that bread would include a few key elements required for children and easily avoided diseases. But by the mid 1970's, with the discovery of wet encapsulation and the huge profits that could be made with vitamin E in those soft capsules, the whole idea took on a new meaning to manufacturers. Now they process OUT everything they can and meter back exactly what the law says they have to. And they sell all the rest to a much more profitable venue.

Basically, they turn it into Elmer's glue, dry it out, and meter back in something "slightly worth having" and sell it as "food."

I got a real education from a PhD biochemist who worked in the field, circa 1975. He pretty much sat me down and gave me a very long lecture about it, back then. He was one of those who worked on wet encapsulation around the time when those machines were so expensive there were only three of them operating in the US.

We grow a lot of our food, now, and I find myself visiting a store perhaps once every two to four weeks. I chop up (8lb maul) about four cords of wood a year, make some lumber as well, plant gardens, have an orchard for nuts and fruits, several kinds of berries, have chickens for eggs and meat, use cold storage (and I am in the process of berming in some more, about 200 sq ft more, into a hillside near the house) instead of refrigeration, and if my wife gets her way we will have a pair of goats, soon. Water comes from a well and I keep a 275 gallon above-ground tank of fresh water from the well, for emergencies. Also, several 275 gallon above ground containers of diesel for the tractor and heating, if needed, as well as for trade, if it comes to that.

One very fun thing is that I have also started to make my own dishes and glasses throwing pottery, which I find I'm loving a lot. (I don't love doing car work, but I also do most of the car work, including replacing axle bearings and the like. I _don't_ do transmissions, though!!)

hehe. We've about 5000 sq. ft. of space in the house, so I can handle it. I might like to clean up a bit, first! ;) And you'd* need to be able to tolerate a profoundly autistic girl with grand mal seizures and she'd need to tolerate you, as well. My youngest son also lives with us and is on the spectrum of autism, though his skills and intuitions in mathematics may very soon exceed mine. Just the four of us, here. (I've known my wife before I can remember any life at all -- she's two years older than me and used to babysit me sometimes when we were kids and my mom wanted a sitter. We go back a ways.)

Jon

  • (you'd includes your wife and two kids.)
Reply to
Jon Kirwan

False comparison and besides the point.

Jon