Mystery device

Hi,

Pulled this out of the recycle bin as it "looked interesting" :>

Fully populated PCB but no case to put it in context. No useful markings on the silkscreen.

10 LEDs arranged in a semicircle -- green followed by red (e.g., like a meter with a - and + zone).

One power indicator.

One push button (power on/off)

9V battery powered.

Turning it on appears to do a lamp test (though this could just be a noise spike that temporarily drives the "meter" up to MAX).

Center of board has a foil pattern similar to what you would find *in* an RFID tag (1.5" concentric squares). I.e., suggests it is an antenna.

Now, what might this be *used* for?

Thx,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Microwave oven leakage tester?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Stud finder maybe.

John

Sounds like the thing in my hand.

i bought it surplus several years ago. Probably Electronic Goldmine. A magnetic field detector.

Ghostbuster.

greg

Reply to
GregS

That thing used to go haywire near CRT's. Probably one of the main uses at the time to check for fields. Yes it works fine on my Fluke analog/digital scope.

greg

Reply to
GregS

i wonder if we all fell a little better away from the computer CRT's ?? Is there any history event trend ? greg

Reply to
GregS

Ah, that's possible! I found a bunch of RC kit in the same pile so wondered if maybe used to measure signal strength (though I would assume you would empirically determine this -- e.g., when plane

*crashes*, etc. :> )

I'll see what it does near the microwave...

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Be sure to defeat the interlocks to give it plenty of signal.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ah, I was just going to CRAWL IN with it...

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Like on Kick Ass?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Some one looking for me?

Reply to
Jamie

Sorry, typo. I meant to say "spud finder."

John

Assuming s/fell/feel/ ? Recently I three broken LCD monitors, fixed two of them so no CRTs here now, feel much better!

Grant.

--
http://bugs.id.au/
Reply to

RF detector..I have a few PCBs very much like that.

Reply to
Robert Baer

No, i have a RS one, small horn with diode and meter, period.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...and zap your pacemaker..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, *this* one lights up like a christmas tree when held in front of the microwave! :< I wonder if any of my body parts are glowing??? :-/

Curiously, doesn't seem to react to the WiFi (which I thought a good possibility) -- which I thought was roughly the same band (?).

Reply to
D Yuniskis