Aliexpress solar cells as photodiodes--not

So I have this project looking to measure babies' blood oxygenation noninvasively, i.e. using an optical sensor looking through the mom's abdomen.

The idea is to make the business end cheap--ideally disposable. Come with me, if you will, on a trip down memory alley.

Circa 1992, my friend and colleague Ted van Kessel and I did an interesting semiconductor process control instrument for DRAM fab at IBM, Burlington VT. (This was back in the 0.5-micron days, when optical inspection was competitive.)

At the time, photoresist was generally acid catalyzed, i.e. it developed something like photographic film. The litho tool (wafer stepper) exposed the resist, liberating a bit of acid. Then the wafer went onto a hot plate so that the acid could act like developer, breaking a bunch more bonds and rendering the image developable.

The resulting line width depended on both the exposure dose and the temperature/duration of the bake step. So Ted and I built this gizmo to look at the diffraction pattern of the latent image as it developed on the hot plate, and lift the wafer off it when the diffracted beam strength was just right. That way we had a closed-loop method for controlling line width in litho, shazam. (Turned out the fab folks didn't want it, but I digress.)

IBM's DRAM cells were arranged in a hexagonal pattern, so when you shined a LED vertically down on the wafer, you got a hexagonally-symmetric optical diffraction pattern from the latent image in the resist, with some contribution from the lower layers (previously fabricated). Ordinarily you'd only need one diffracted order for a measurement like that, but to correct for diffraction from the underlying structure we needed clean +-1 orders in at least one of the three symmetry axes of the hexagonal pattern. Unfortunately, there was no way to control the orientation of the wafer on the hot plate, because previously there was no reason to care about it, so the diffraction orders could be anywhere in azimuth.

We wound up with seven 1x3-inch solar cells arranged like a 360-degree poker hand around the vertical axis (i.e. with a bit of a taper in the direction away from the wafer). With sevenfold symmetry, regardless of how the wafer was oriented, we got clean measurements of at least one

+-1 order pair.

Those cells worked fine up to about 20 kHz, running into a common-emitter stage followed by a regular op amp TIA. All the cathodes were connected to the summing junction, and the anodes were multiplexed to ground using open-drain outputs of a zero-power PAL (PALCE16V8Z). (Zero-power PALs didn't push power supply noise out their outputs when in open-drain mode.) So probably 20 nF or so.

Coming back to the fetal pulse ox gizmo, I thought it would be fun to see how fast a modern amorphous cell could go. I got some 30x50 cm ones from AliExpress, which looked OK, and in fact they work fine for their advertised use.

Turns out that they have about 1.5_MICROFARAD_ shunt capacitance. Where's Radio Shack when you need them?

Cheers

Phil Hobb

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So 10 uF per square metre. That sounds like a lot, until I worked it out for the Osram SFH2700FA I'm using for a new design. 0.59 x 0.59 mm and

4.6 pF, which works out to 13 uF per square metre. It's a PIN device, which is supposed to reduce the capacitance. Or am I missing something?

I like the Osram parts so far, but it's not a very demanding application bandwidth wise. It _is_ very space constrained, hence the small area. It's the best of a similar bunch I tested for sensitivity.

Reply to
Rhydian

The capacitance of my single poly-Si solar cell 102mm*102mm is 4.5 μF, shunt resistance = 200 Ohm. It is possible to neutralize the capacitance at a certain frequency using inductance.

Reply to
Dmitriy Pshonkin

I don't suppose reverse biasing will help much ? How about bootstrapping ?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

I misspoke--mine are 30x50 _millimetres_. So it's more like 1 millifarad per square metre, or 100 nf/cm**2. Really good PIN photodiodes run about 40-100 pf/cm**2 when fully depleted, about 5-7x that at zero bias.

I'm out of the lab today, but I'll try resonating the capacitance and see what kind of Q I get. I need to work around 220 Hz, which is far enough from harmonics of both 50 and 60 Hz for my purposes--at 1.5 uF, that needs a 300-mH inductor.

There's such a thing as a parametric gyrator, so it might even be possible to use a Y5V cap and some magic to make a sufficiently-quiet simulated inductor.

(I'll get a nanoamp of photocurrent if I'm lucky, so the Q has to be high or I'm better off with a smaller detector.)

I don't really think that the nasty $3 AliExpress gizmo is the right answer for the actual measurement, but it's worth checking out the parameter space.

That sounds like a lot, until I worked it out

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Lots of big ICs have on-chip bypass caps. I measured one Xilinx FPGA that had hundreds of nF caps on various supply rails. So I don't worry about bypassing much.

I guess you can make a lot of c when the dielectric is nanometers thick.

I'm trying to explore that as well as some other possibilities that don't involve big honkin' chunks of iron.

The transimpedance amp forces its input noise e_Namp across the detector capacitance, resulting in a 1-Hz current noise of

i_N = 2 pi f * C_d * e_Namp

In a lowpass system, the total noise from this source goes up quadratically with bandwidth.

For a given photocurrent, we can figure out where we get into the shot noise limit by finding where the two contributions are equal. Comparing the Johnson noise of the load resistor to the shot noise, we find that we're shot noise limited when

4 k T

----- < 2 e I_photo. e R_L

Rearranging this a bit, a photodiode plus load resistor system is shot noise limited when

I_photo R_L > 2 k T / e,

which is 51 mV at room temperature. This is a super-useful rule of thumb.

For a 1-nA photocurrent, I'd need a 50 Mohm load resistance to reach the shot noise, assuming the e_N*C noise doesn't dominate. Avoiding that sinister fate at a frequency f means that

2 pi f C_d * e_N < sqrt(2 e I_photo) ,

or

sqrt(e I_photo/2) e_N < ----------------- . pi f C_d

Note that e_N has to include the Johnson noise of the series resistance of the detector, and that any significant contribution from the shunt resistance has to be taken into account as well.

With center frequency of 220 Hz, 1.5 uF capacitance, and a 1-nA photocurrent, to stay in the shot noise we'd need

e_N < 9 pV/sqrt(Hz) including the series resistance contribution, which is, um, challenging. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks.

At very low photocurrents, reverse bias is not always a win even with PIN photodiodes. You reduce the e_N*C noise by a factor of 5 or thereabouts, but if the leakage current is 100x the photocurrent, that winds up being worse.

For amorphous thin-film solar cells, you'd expect high doping levels to reduce series resistance, which means that reverse bias won't reduce the capacitance much. (The 'I' in 'PIN' refers to a thick layer of very low-doped (intrinsic) silicon that can be fully depleted at a reasonable voltage.)

Bootstraps and TIAs both exhibit the e_N * C mechanism, but a good JFET (or pHEMT, at least above 1 MHz) is a lot quieter and has lower input current and capacitance than an op amp.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And has a huge epsilon as well.

Cheers

Phil "bobbing for photons" Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

At best, the shunt resistance of the solar cell is of the order of 1000 Ohm(( Maybe VTS3080 is a better option?

Reply to
Dmitriy Pshonkin

cubically> with bandwidth.

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Turns out that based on resonating the cell with a 330-uh inductor, its series resistance is only a couple of ohms and its capacitance is 0.82 uF at 10 kHz.

It might be pretty interesting to resonate it with half a henry or so. I expect it should be possible to get that much inductance with an ungapped permalloy core, as used in current transformers. Getting the right value might be more challenging. One of those Y5V varactors of Joerg's might be the ticket. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A regular gapped ferrite might do it.

The B65887E1000J041 gaped core pair offers an Al of 1000nH (+/-5%) per root turn, and an RM14 core has about 100mm^2 winding area, so you could put on a thousand turns of fine wire - up to 0.3mm OD, which isn't all that fine.

Ferroxcube does seem to do an RM14 core with a centre hole for a screw-in inductance adjuster. You might have to go for a core with a bigger gap to get one where the adjustor could be guaranteed to cover the whole range, but with a thousand turns to start with adding a or subtracting single turns should let you get pretty close.

Interwinding capacitance won't be trivial, but it won't be anything like even a nanofarada either.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

TDR it! Sort of. With a function generator and a scope.

That shows capacitance, esr, and esl all at once.

Reply to
jlarkin

A Y5V-varactor parametric gyrator would be really fun to build.

I haven't gone into it very deeply yet, but if it's possible at low frequency, it could be very interesting. You don't need much voltage headroom for a 1-nA photocurrent at any reasonable impedance level.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A 50 mV photocurrent signal level across the 1000 Ohm shunt junction corresponds to a 50,000 nA signal. How to avoid the noise generated by this parasitic internal shunt resistance of the solar cell?

1nA * 1000 Ohm = 1µV
Reply to
Dmitriy Pshonkin

Nice paper.

Aren't the nonlinear dielectrics kinda leaky too?

There must be something useful that can be done with horrible nonlinear caps.

There is one shock line that has a slab of ceramic sandwiched between two metal plates. A pulse gets faster as it travels down the line, becoming a pretty fast kilovolt edge at the end.

Reply to
jlarkin

As Dmitriy suggested, the shunt resistance isn't great on these devices, so we'll have to dig a bit deeper.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Why did you pick amorphous cells rather than monocrystalline silicon?

Reply to
Chris Jones

Because they're super cheap. I just tested a 25x8 mm amorphous cell with a glass substrate (harvested from one of those solar-powered hula dancer figurines) and it measured 5 meg, so it ain't necessarily impossible.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs