"Must-Have, Survival" Discretes

My first job at Bell Labs was working on the magnetron for the Nike search radar. Much of the work on microwave test equipment done at MIT's RadLab had not been reproduced by industry, so we had to make our own.

I retired from a job working for Ivan Getting, who had a lot to do with magnetron and radar development during WWII.

Varian was one of the contractors I assisted the Air Force with technical direction on traveling wave tubes for communication satellites. In the mid-1960's, I often went through the Varian cafeteria line with Sig Varian.

I still have a RF sweep generator which I built long ago, which mixed two X-band klystron's outputs to get 4.5 MHz output to align TV set's IF.

You can add the traveling wave tube, as well. There are still a few things that vacuum tubes do better than solid state!

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
Reply to

Assuming I'm sending it to the Brits or Americans? A red helium neon laser. Easily works with the tube gear at the time, and, instant cheap guided missiles once they figure out how to copy the dielectric mirrors. Sets metrology and communications ahead 100 years.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Wow. Superhuman. I just hate people who are seven hundred times as smart as I am.

Yikes! phase-noise-wise.

Cool. Have you read this?

This was written by Russell's widow. It has a lot of interesting stuff about pre-war California, theosiphist religious movements, the history of Varian Co, and Russell's not-so-nice relationship with Frederick Terman.

Varian Inc is my best single customer.

John

When I was in the USAF, we called them Traveling Wave Amplifier Tubes, because the acronym is so much more fun to pronounce than TWT. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Actually, that was the first name proposed at Bell Labs. It was changed to Traveling Wave Tube Amplifier for the reason you cited! John Pierce probably would have preferred the original name. He wrote for Amazing Stories under the name of J. J. Coupling, and had a great sense of humor.

Virg Wall, P.E.
Reply to
VWWall

The step-recovery diode was originally called the Boff Diode, after the guy who discovered it.

John