Barkhausen must be wrong.

At this site:

there is a schematic titled "A Practical Twin-T Oscillator".

In the text under the schematic we find:

"Now hold on a minute: an emitter follower has no voltage gain and surely you've been taught that an R-C oscillator must have voltage gain? Well this one works and has no voltage gain (of course it does have current gain)."

The schematic does show two emitter followers closing the loop. One would think this couldn't work, but the poster says it does.

Is Barkhausen wrong?

Reply to
The Phantom

Look again at the schematic.

Reply to
MooseFET

I've looked at it several times. What do you see there that's relevant?

Reply to
The Phantom

(snip)

The signal input to the right transistor is not from an emitter follower.

Reply to
John Popelish

You can make an oscillator with just an emitter follower and some r-c's... I did it accidentally ca 1975, and was surprised. The impedances are such that you usually need a darlington to pull it off.

There are a couple of simple 2-terminal-plus-ground RC networks that can have an AC voltage gain above 1.

John

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you sure you're looking at the right schematic, the 5th one down? The one titled "A Practical Twin-T Oscillator"?

Reply to
The Phantom

But he says this one has no voltage gain. So how does this work?

Reply to
The Phantom

I think he meant that the transistors have no voltage gain, and maybe he's assuming that an RC network can't have gain. Dunno.

John

POWER gain IS the requirement.

...Jim Thompson

Sorry, I was looking at the second schematic.

The unusual part of this twin T is that the component values are not the usual C and 2*C, 2*R and R. A ratio of about 5 is used, instead. And the way it is connected, instead of the usual notch response, it has a broad bandpass filter response with a peak gain of about 1.089 at about 130 Hz, with the loading effect of the 1n cap but not counting the darlington.

So it is possible to get a little voltage gain from an RC circuit.

Reply to
John Popelish

Simulating just the twin T, unloaded, the highest possible gain seems to occur close to an R and C ratio of about 4.75, and that voltage gain is about 1.094.

Reply to
John Popelish

You get an A+. My mathematical assistant says the max gain of 1.08893 occurs with a ratio of 4.83152 at a frequency of 129.128034 Hz

See: "Synthesis of Passive RC Networks with Gains Greater than Unity", Herman Epstein, Proceedings of the IRE, July, 1951, p. 833.

Reply to
The Phantom

My assistant says that under these circumstances the maximum gain of

1.09384 occurs at a frequency of 132.629114 Hz with a ratio of 4.82843.
Reply to
The Phantom

would

(snip)

I don't have access to this paper.

Reply to
John Popelish

In Vorperian's book, "Fast Analytical Techniques for Electrical and Electronic Circuits" there's a 7-page discussion of it as well (under the heading, "RC Filters With Gain" in the chapter, "Passive Filters: Where Inductors and Transformers Still Get Respect," which I rather like :-) ). That's probably short enough to fall under "fair use" if you'd like me to scan and post it.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I looked at it as, the Twin-T, because of the component values, is an impedance transformer. It has "voltage gain" in that the output volts are greater than the input volts; but it has a "current loss" which is why you need the darlington - for the light loading on the output end.

The thing is, I don't know if an impedance transformer counts as "gain" - does an ordinary step-up transformer have "gain"?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

would

You will very shortly.

Reply to
The Phantom

Post away!

Reply to
The Phantom

If one's definition of "voltage gain" is "ABS(Vo/Vi) > 1", then, yes. This is the sense in which Epstein used the word "gain". See my responses to John Popelish.

And, of course, one could get even more particular and speak of "loaded gain" and "unloaded gain".

I imagine that an oscillator could be built which used a small transformer on the output of a network giving phase shift, followed by an emitter (or source) follower for the necessary "current gain". The phase shifting network could even be an all-pass network.

Reply to
The Phantom

Take a (triode, pentode, transistor, FET) and put the common (cathode/emitter/source) to the CT on a tapped tank coil. Ground one end of the coil. Cap couple the other end to the input (grid/gate/base), biasing as appropriate. Connect supply voltage to other terminal (plate/collector/drain).

Voila. ;)

Tim

transformer

Reply to