Re: Pattern Recognition / OCR

I've been musing the IR bit. With next to no familiarity with the technology, what does a camera "see" when an object is illuminated with IR?

Likewise what happens if a bunch of IR LED's are in the view field of an IR camera... over exposure?

...Jim Thompson

look at an IR source( tv controller) with a video camera...

Reply to
TTman

> Any readily purchasable equipment that could be used to read road > signs, and sound off when a pre-determined pattern is seen... Such as > "Photo" ?:-)

The OCR may not be your biggest problem. Road signs can appear practically anwhere in your field of view. Identifying objects as worthy of attempting OCR on is going to be a larger problem.

One neat trick: Most road signs (and license plates) are made with retroreflective materials. Illuminating the scene with a strobe (use IR so as not to upset bystanders) and compare that frame with one taken using ambient illumination can help in identifying them.

What color is a chameleon looking in a mirror?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I can see it blink. Does that mean intense IR can overexpose?

...Jim Thompson

to a camera it is just light, so enough of it and you can get over exposure nothing magic about IR humans just can't see it

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Iust intense IR, I believe -- most CCD sensors are quite sensitive to IR, so much so that many cameras include IR filters in front of the sensor.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The Photo Speed cameras around here illuminate in IR ;-)

So I figure to surround my license plate with IR LED's ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Send it to Mythbusters if it works... they tried a bunch of others methods without success:

Apparently if your vehicle is capable of going 170+MPH you can beat them too. :-)

----Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I already saw the "flip down plate" idea, which provoked my thought to have the plate "vibrate" in the x-y axes to make it blur ;-)

I noted that before as well ;-) My max speed, so far, has been ~135MPH... done on A5 in Germany.

How about slaving a strobe off of their flash?

In AZ they have to get a clear shot of the driver's face. I thought of using a bicycle reflector as a "necklace" to flash back at the camera ;-)

Probably the best way is to recognize the "Photo Enforcement" signs. They are, by law, 100 yards minimum before the camera.

...Jim Thompson

Hi Jim, Believe it or not, you are now in one of my fields of expertise!

Depending on the camera, first, you need to make sure to remove any IR filters in the camera. Most CMOS cameras have decently sensitivity in the near IR that can mess up the picture otherwise.

Now, if you put a pure IR pass filter in front of the camera, you get basically a black and white image in the IR. Probably not exactly what you want.

If you are imaging a light or IR source, you get an over-exposed area around the image of the source. The electrons spill over to adjacent pixels. if you have an old frame shift camera, you get long bright lines on your image.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I don't "want"... I seek to thwart Photo Radar cameras which, to my untrained eye, appear to be using IR technology ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The CMOS sensors are sensitive to IR, so there usually is an IR filter in the lens assembly, making the camera mostly IR-insensitive. Usually this filter can be removed after disassembling the lens. People have actually replaced it with an IR-only (dark red) filter, to get a 'night- vision' gear.

--
		Przemek Klosowski, Ph.D.
Reply to

, so

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

I suppose it depends on the model of camera, but the red light running "cameras" I've seen are a combination of both film and CCDs. The film is what they call "extended red", going out to around 820nm. The extended red is just enough to photograph through the tinted glass. A CCD like the Sony Ex-View have response out to about a micron.

Reply to
miso

Depends on whether or not it has an IR filter. Most security-type cameras work very well in IR.

Yes, unless it has auto-iris of some sort.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Ok, the idea of a ring of IR LEDs has some merit, depending on the camera. Having them shine on the plate will also often overexpose the plate, making the image difficult to determine. Depends on how good the designer was. If he has enough dynamic range built in, he can even image that, at least after image processing...

I did two major designs. On the 91 Express lanes, you would have had about a 60% chance of overexposing the plate if you used a dozen IR LEDs, but that design used standard lighting, not IR. We had good cameras and excellent processing.

On the other OC toll roads, you would have a 95% chance of overexposing. They used cheap cameras, low res images, and poor processing. But, after I was fired, I heard they upgraded everything up to to my specs, so that might no longer be true!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Charlie E. wrote:

That last bit has been foremost in my mind throughout this thread.

**Haven't those guys thought of this stuff already?**

I was wondering if putting something especially shiny in the IR (like a Pyrex plate) in front of the numbers would affect things.

*-visible-*+Pyrex+opaque-*-infrared-*+c+inc+iron-*+metallic-*

...and is a "protective layer" over your licence plate allowed?

Reply to
JeffM

Don't know about other states, but it is prohibited to cover your license plate with any material in California, especially if it is not

100% transparent.

They used to make a cover that due to embossed lensing, made it possible to only view the plate from directly behind, probably with a field of view of only 15-20 degrees. That soon became an automatic traffic stop, when the cop would then 'inspect' your vehicle for other infractions!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

*-visible-*+Pyrex+opaque-*-infrared-*+c+inc+iron-*+metallic-*

...meybbeee i dunnoh whan MY plate to git doity?

Reply to
Robert Baer

...and the definition of "100% transparent"?? Does that mean one must wash dirt off of the plate every day?? Maybe my dirt absorbs IR?

Reply to
Robert Baer

*-visible-*+Pyrex+opaque-*-infrared-*+c+inc+iron-*+metallic-*

On my 4x4 that's also known as 'mud'.

If God is perfect then why did He create discontinuous functions?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.