Multipath WLAN problem?

You're a goddamned retard, Grise. I hope weed does get legalized out here, and I hope *you* die before you ever get to smoke legally in this great nation of ours, you retarded little troll bastard.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Might the router be sensitive to line length?

Get the new firmware from DD-WRT. It is v24. It allows a HUGE boost, so more, better signal WOULD work in this circumstance. Trying to get more out of it with the current firmware is why it falls on its face currently. There is a HUGE set of parameters to adjust. Just like on a pro router.

This router runs Linux too. There are routers that will read USB memory devices too. Some allow tweaking of the CPU speed. Mine does. Find the right legacy router, that runs Linux, and you will have no problem finding one on ebay that already has the DD-WRT loaded onto it, as it is the most popular item among gamers and geeks. 200mW is way better than 40mW. Likely about $70.

THAT IS THE RIGHT ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM.

Reply to
SoothSayer

If his problem is multpath distortion, all the power in the world won't help him.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Signal strength was not the point at all. You might also want to place some 377 ohms per square resistive material surfacing in strategic places also.

If you wish, i do not think it will help though.

Reply to
JosephKK

Of course not during work hours. I'd do that in the evening. My wife is crocheting teddy bears for Romanian orphans right now, lots of them. Since I can't crochet I'll just sit next to her, some nice beverages on the table, and take the router apart. Why? I hate throwing stuff away, we aren't good stewards of the earth if we keep doing that. Those things are never really recycled. Crunch -> landfill.

And yes, I still repair a radio when it breaks. Same reason as above. But there is a whole 'nother one: You learn incredibly about cost efficient design and packaging when taking mass products apart that way. This is know-how I can really use in my business. It's tought nowhere else.

BTW I did learn crocheting in elementary school because we didn't have a shop for the boys to learn wood working. But forgot it all by now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I know. Been there, done that. After all I AM a registered Girl Scout ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The first sign of senility is persistently trying to be an asshole

The second sign of senility is touting your company's wonderful
circuit designs as your own, while posting amateur crap on S.E.D

The third sign is acting like Polly Prissypants :-)

I got kicked out of scouts for eating brownies.

Reply to
AnimalMagic

If its not the PSU caps, find some Echosorb sheets.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

The more expensive units can do that.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Do you think these routers can hiccup from their own RF echoes? It almost seems like that but somehow I couldn't quite believe it. But maybe it does because this building is full of hard RF reflectors, aluminm-backed insulation in all the interior walls.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My bet is you have a echo enhancing chamber and are getting RF pattern issues. Does anything change if you "load" the room by adding people or moving around? Can you put a leaky dummy load on instead of a antenna? Do you have any good quality microwave coax or attenuators laying around? Set up a loosely coupled cable link between your two rooms and see what happens. I know, by law its supposed to be a hard to get connector, so try indirect coupling of the cable, ie a passive repeater.

If I wanted to jam direct sequence spread spectrum, I'd add pulses

1/4 bit time leading and 1/4 bit time lagging. While I doubt your room has any where near enough Q to ring that long, somewhere your getting RF intermod or a reflection effect the system doesn't like. Other things come to mind like desensing the receiver, bad or saturated VSWR sense circuit etc. I have no idea if a modern LAN even looks at its reflected power, but its something I'd check. Are you close to a army base (NTIA 2.4 ghz primary allocation) or someone using RF heating?

Lets start with basics Take the unit(s) outside and perform a simple range and operations test. Leave it run outside a while. This signal should only be a few mW to a few 10s of mW, so desense is unlikely, but possible. You are using the factory antennas right?

Occam's Razor says the problem is usually something basic or a malfunction. My rule has always been if you don't have diagnostics, you start "playing" till you find something. Download Net Stumbler and if it gets you better diagnostics.

Steve

Reply to
osr

While a bit bigger space, our 2.4G widget barfs in the Super Dome. Boosting the power makes things even worse. Last try, a pad didn't work either, likely because it also attenuated the received signal. We don't have a good way of separating the receiver yet.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't 'barf' because of multipath, however.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Moving stuff in the room doesn't but moving the AP does, to some extent. It's reverse SM-something connectors.

Nope, the spectrum is fairly clean out here. It's almost a rural setting. When there's Air Force exercises in the area some RF gear goes on the fritz once in a while but it becomes obvious immediately what the cause is. Those fighter jets aren't exactly quiet ;-)

Can't do that right now, one rain storm after the other. OTOH we really, really need that rain so I won't complain.

Will try netstumbler. Not sure if it runs with any of the wireless cards here and whether I can extract signal integrity data out of it. It all looks like our DTV here, tons of signal strength but daily multipath breakdowns.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Oops, if that's the case here then I'll have to really play with its location. The attic might be an option but maybe not because we have a metal roof. Plus it'll freeze up there in winter and bake in the summer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

AlwaysWrong, DimBulb. ...but I'm being redundant, again.

Reply to
krw

How about the crawl space?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Michael A. Terrell

How about CAT-5 ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Obama is about to make Herbert Hoover look like a financial genius

Should read 'daily dropouts' since you do not REALLY know what the cause is.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Got proof? DO you have ANY forum discussions other than the CRAP here (like on Cisco's forum) that outline ANY multipath issues with wireless LAN adapters? Hmmmm?

What you are being is redundantly STUPID.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever