Brother MFC dead after power cycle?

Hello Folks,

Since this machine is widely used maybe one of you had this happen: Moved it to the shiny new office, turned it on, nada, zilch. Only a backlit blank LCD. Power cycling, pressing and holding buttons and such produces no reaction.

Any ideas how to fix/reset the thang? Or does this mean it's dead? It is a Brother MFC-7820N but I think they are all similar.

Jim will say I should have bought a HP. But, my HP needs 3-4 power cycles per week while the Brother only needed one a month. For today's design standards in consumer gear that's probably "good".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not that any of this is likely to help you....I had the same thing after a mains power bump last week. Couldn't get the thing to respond at all so a replacement was purchased. After sitting for a couple of days I repowered the failed unit and it decides it wants to work again and now performs fine. Dried out caps in the SMPS?? beats me.

Reply to
K Ludger

I think you are graced with black thumb disease ;-)

I once owned a Brother printer, for about 24 hours. Took it back to Price Club (Costco) and promptly got my money back.

...Jim Thompson

You can try smacking it ala Arthur Fonzarelli to see if there's a loose connection, but the fact is that this end of the spectrum, regardless of brand, is junk from the day it's made.

I actually beat the living heck out of some Brother "consumer" lasers, but don't respect them anyway - they keep turning "error print" on despite my turning it it off (setting is not saved - hundreds of pages of crap when their bootleg "not quite postscript" fumbles something coming in) and I bought and junked 2 more to get "drum units" that cost more than the printers they came in.

Then again, I have a pair of HP4200 moderately "good" office lasers that don't work terribly well considering they cost a lot more, and some HP

4000's (older, less sexy "office" laserprinters) that work better than both the newer HPs and the Brother's, and cost less to operate to boot.

I prefer scanner separate from printer in terms of overall function and general quality sometimes being slightly better. And at least you only have to toss the part that actually breaks, if they are separate units. Any good scanner package will still let you "make copies" from the scanner to the printer if you want to.

Ecnerwal

So maybe I'll wait a few days to see if the problem fixes itself :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's been good to me so far. It always had a propensity to hang itself up but not nearly as often as the HP (I wore out one power cord from all the unplugging).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, but it's also about space. Not a lot there, plus I don't want to cram several more USB/network cables into the already packed channel.

Anyhow, Costco Online has the next model for around $200 after rebate. If it takes the same toner cartrdige I may bite. If it only lives two years like this one that's still under $10/month :-)

Just installed a brand cartridge and then the dang thing croaked :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have had almost comically bad service from HP lately.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Which cheapy hp model has no power _switch_ ?:-)

I had an hp 6L... lasted from 1994 until around 2 years ago. Worked fine until I finally wore out the feed mechanism.

Now I have a P2015dn (two-sided). Only problem I have is, if unused for a few days, it disappears from the network, and I have to re-find it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

If you were in Phoenix I could direct you to a real repair guy. I have stood in his garage where, in a matter of minutes, he disassembles the printer, does a phenomenally good cleaning job, replaces worn rollers, etc., and I'm right back to it... for $30 plus parts.

...Jim Thompson

HP-5L

Whoops ... not good.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Trivial, re-click. I think it's been greeny-ized, goes to full sleep after awhile. Then any machine which has had a re-boot doesn't "see" it.

...Jim Thompson

Have you looked for a Reset button, Joerg? ISTR my circa 1993 IBM Thinkpad has one buried inside, on the mainboard and in a place that's accessable only to someone who *really* wants to get at it. As you know, electronics that isn't really off when it's powered down can get confused. For this reason I try to avoid owning stuff that has a momentary power switch... like the current &^@%$!! computers.

--
Michael
Reply to

has one buried inside,

wants to get at it.

confused. For this

the current &^@%$!!

Well, Brother was not forthcoming with any info, they just repeated some stuff from the FAQ which, of course, I had already read. Can't find a reset button. The power switch seems to be a real one, although one never knows.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Have you checked to see if it is supported under Linux for when you permanently decide to forsake The Borg?

*-database+privacy+policy+please+resources.to.help.with.printing.under.free.operating.systems

Reply to
JeffM

*-database+privacy+policy+please+resources.to.help.with.printing.under.free.operating.systems

The current one (that died) is in there, the new one (7840) ain't:

But it won't matter much since my biz software binds me to Windows. Having used NT for roughly 10 years after it's "end" I don't see any problems with XP for the next decade or so. And that NT machine was only retired because the wheels started coming off.

I tried Ubuntu last year. Not my cup of tea, I especially do not like the file system under Linux, then all this sudo and root stuff, too cumbersome for my taste. Other than that it worked quite nicely, in fact it's still here on this PC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Virtual machines are all the rage, Joerg. You may still have to use Windows, but at least if it crashes it only takes the virtual machine down and not everything.

Just login as root all the time? It's effectively the same as what many people do on Windows boxes... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That's what I am using to run Ubuntu, Sun VirtualBox. Basically to be able to run gEDA but that has turned out not to be an good fit for me, gschem lacks quite some features of mainstream schematic programs. But who knows, it might get there.

Should be possible. But there are some things I plain don't understand why they were done that way, for example not allowing users to write to CAD library directories. It is absolutely essential to be able to do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote:

8-)

8-(

...or until your hardware / Windoze install barfs and you find that M$ has shut down its XP Product Activation servers.

...or Windows Genuine Advantage barfs and puts you in the 22% that it wrongly calls pirates

and cripples your M$ OS by remote control. Read the EULA lately?

8-( ...then there are the folks who have to move back & forth between e.g. RedHat-based systems & Debian-based systems. At least you didn't have that going on.
8-D

Horses for courses.

WRT my reference to Linux support, I was actually thinking about worst-case where you can boot to a Linux CD and still print a file. Having an app that opens under Linux would seem to be the snag. Using open source cross-platform apps could be a boon there.

Reply to
JeffM

That article doesn't suggest those 22% were *wrongly* called pirates, does it? I suspect that probably at least 95% of that 22% really are pirates. :-) (Some might be so unknowingly, though, if, e.g., a friend or small-time computer shop installed the copy.)

Not that I like WGA, mind you.

Starting in version 12 MathCAD began "phoning home" for activation as well. It's annoying common today.

Reply to
Joel Koltner