AP placement

Hi,

I'm on a crusade to hide the various bits of electronic kit that would (currently) otherwise be visible.

AP is something that *rarely* needs to be touched. I'll PoE power it so I can control that aspect remotely.

I would *like* to tuck it up into the ceiling (no attic, here... so "ceiling" is just the "height" of the ceiling joists). But, I need to be able to access it *if* something goes south...

Most of the convenient places to hide it (which would be somewhat accessible afterwards) are proximate to the HVAC ductwork.

This can't be A Good Thing for RF. :< Any suggestions on criteria for *best* placement so I don't have to try it out in N different locations? (e.g., I assume I would NOT want the ductwork in the expected signal path)

Or, should I just look for an alternative location?

Thx,

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

WTF is AP?

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Don't think that will be a problem - it might even help. Radio signals at that frequency will bounce of hard surfaces and 'ping-pong' to other places. Think of the ways that light distributes.

However, if your wireless kit is generally the other side of the metalwork and away from the Access Point, than that might be an shielding issue.

Easy thing to experiment with though.

Failing that, why not disguise it as a pot plant?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Access Point.

Reply to
PeterD

Put AP under your desk and forget about it.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Better yet, get a banker to do that and turn the AP into a derivative to make it go away. Well, at least for a few years ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Mind the heat. It's amazing how much can build up in an enclosed space. Why not put it up on a cabinet where nobody can see?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's very true, especially as SOHO networking stuff is built cheap and runs hot. During 5 years, I lost two modems, three routers and AP apparently because of overheating.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

I was more fortunate. The old DSL modem is over 10 years old, the router as well and the WLAN router is maybe 6 years or so. All running nicely.

Of course, there are certain stores I'll never buy from.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They tend to assume free airflow and don't like being in the sun.

What do you do to them?

Place on a S facing windowsill with a glass box over them or something?

My oldest cable modem managed to gradually cook its power supply to the point where the paper label was a worryingly dark shade of charred brown. But I only noticed this when we moved out of the property.

Apart from that one mine run fairly cool ~40C at a steady 10-12W even sat over a radiator. I wish it would drop to lower power when no WiFi connections are active. But I leave it on continuously. Placement is more determined by coverage and some very thick internal stone walls.

The only modem I ever lost died from a nearby lightning strike that also destroyed the phone. Boca 9k6 modem and it was amazingly repairable.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Nothing special. Just regular use.

Speadstream 5360: gradually died Dlink DI604: started glitching Dlink DI614: started glitching Belkin 6130: ethernet phy gradually died

2Wire 2700: modem killed by lightning Netgear DGN2000: all phy channels gradually died one after another

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:38:47 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I still have the old 'viditel' modem 75 / 1200 Baud, no modem or router or WAP (I have 2) ever died here. The WAP webserver with SD card sits on a book shelf. The old modem sat on the PC, now the router sits on the PC, the switch is mounted on the side of the PC. My PC processor runs 45-50°C... Nothing gets really hot. A 1TB USB disk also sits on top of the PC, as well as the DTV USB terrestrial receiver box, some put on top of each other, with some other stuff on top of that.

In summer when heat wave, it gets a bit hotter then 30°C inside, but has had no effect so far on the electronics.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Where did you buy these?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Exactly. So, half the house is in shadow. Unless I can mount a second antenna on the "other" side of the ductwork... (?)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

My "desk" is a U-shaped tabletop of ~45sq ft. I kid you not when I say there is *no* space under it! :< The undersides of the worksurface have power strips, USB hubs, speakers, etc.

And, it's located too far to the front of the house; the AP should be either central or towards the rear (for coverage of the back yard)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

The devices I am evaluating are intended for use in 50C and 70C ambient.

No "cabinets" (aside from in the garage -- and those are metal). Closets tend to be full of "other" stuff -- things that I *need* to be able to access. AP is not one of those things (sort of like hot water heater -- you need access to it only when things go wrong)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I'm looking at a Cisco AP for "industrial" use (warehouse, etc). And a Ubiquity AP intended for outdoor use. Designed for higher temps -- 50C and 70C, respectively.

I (personally) haven't seen outdoor temps above 45-47C. But, stuffing something in the ceiling would no doubt beat that handily! I.e., the Cisco would probably have to go in a *wall* instead of ceiling...

Reply to
D Yuniskis

You'd be surprised how fast you'll blow past 70C in summer when the AP is in an almost non-vented small space with insulation on 4-5 side. It's a perfect recipe to shorten the life of all electrolytics in there.

The AP would be on top of the cabinet, you can still access everything inside the cabinets.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Your doorbell annunciator is in a central location; a WiFi AP can go there and get good broadcast coverage.

The wall space inside a closet over the closet door is rarely scrutinized.

Windows with drapes have a bit of wall space behind the folds that is likewise out of sight.

Reply to
whit3rd

Time to clean up? Mine has channels built in and for the lab benches I built some recently, mostly to be able to have dog pillows underneath and so you can vacuum. No cables or other stuff on the ground.

Or hang reflectors behind. Central would be better though. How about on a small shelf mounted above a doorway?