More EDN silliness..

Page 66 Dec 15 "..provides more accurate multiplication"?? QSM multipliers have been around for ages; i used to program a Systron Donner analog computer that had those. They were "grainy" due to use of diode arrays to create the square law, and results with input(s) near zero had large percent errors. This is a bit better using logs, but...

What is all that trash there, when ADC and DACs are available? Take the inputs and directly feed ADCs, which then go to a ROM look-up table that feeds the DAC. Done correctly, the errors are from (and no worse) than the ADCs / DAC chain. SYMPLE..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Why not use one ADC and one MDAC?

These mags don't give a hoot about the quality of their "content." It's just filler between the ads, so they can get the post office cheap "magazine" rate ratio.

John

Some are still buying LPs and some are still using tubes for audio reproduction, some are still using telegraphy for radio communication:-).

For the younger generation, which is only used to current digital systems, it might be educational, how things had to be done in the past and appreciate the current solutions.

Reply to
upsidedown

  • Yet another way to KISS.. The work to do that might be too much for them...
Reply to
Robert Baer

and I bought nixies to make a GPS clock....

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

I bought some nixies too, but not sure how to drive them, no application note or circuit for the 7441/74141 -- I have some Russian made nixies and driver chips. Need to see how to make 50V switching work for a ~170V anode?

Grant.

Reply to
omg

You don't switch the anode- it goes to 170V through a current limiting resistor.

You switch the cathodes, and one is always on for a conventional nixie, so the voltage on the 'off' cathodes can be much lower than

170V.

You should be able to find plenty of information on the net for playing with those antiques.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Just run the Nixie tube cathodes to the input pins of the 74141, like in this schematic:

The open-collector outputs of the 74141 have zener diodes across them to protect them against any high voltage transients when the digit is switching on/off. If you're using a microcontroller to drive the IC you only really need one driver IC per clock - just scan the digits by switching their anode voltages with high-voltage PNP transistors.

Reply to
Bitrex

Why use a mega-integration-scale ROM when a simple multiplying DAC does the job, requires no programming, no chance of metastability or control/clock signal management??? The circuit is a viable chocie for a standalone analog multiplier. I don't consider it to be a novel idea worthy of publication though.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Quarter-square multipliers have the same dynamic range issues as analogue or thermal RMS detectors--when you square the signal, for the same noise floor your N dB dynamic range drops to N/2 dB.

Your average MDAC has enough bandwidth for a 50/60 Hz measurement, but it'll rapidly become inaccurate above that due to excess phase shift.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A number of driver circuits used flower power, as in those (old) daze, some of the Geranium transistors had superior BV compared to the sandy ones.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yep..flower power PNPs.

Reply to