More Californication...

Hey, John, thanks for this!

BTW, how's business? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Just pass a law that requires the cops to check the ID of Californicators, too.

Reply to
krw

I pay a shade less than $1500 (it's gone down $200 over the last two years) on $300,000 evaluation or 1/2%. VT was $6000 on $300,000, so mark that one off Joerg's list. ;-)

That would be nice. OTOH, I think TX has 'em all beat.

Reply to
krw

Look at the foreign auto manufacturers. They're all moving to the SE.

AL just went more conservative. We just elected the first Republican house and senate (60% 'R' now) since reconstruction. The crooks are almost all gone! Interesting thing is that the legislature takes office immediately after the votes are counted but the new executives don't take over until January. The current governor is calling a special session to hang the last of the crooks so the new guy doesn't have to.

Reply to
krw

Huntsville is booming.

Reply to
krw

Oh, I'm sure they'll get quite inventive. NY sold I84 to the Thruway and took $2B from one pocket and put it in the other. It's recently been transferred back so they can play another round of hide-the-weenie with the taxpayers.

Reply to
krw

If I wanted to move to TN, my in-laws would be happy...

but my wife would strangle me!

(presently having a debate on whether to go back at christmas. Her present position requires Hades to have a similiar temperature to Memphis at that time of year! )

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I guess life is all about tradeoffs.

If you have property anywhere on the west coast you=92re going to pay, unless you have property from prop 13 in Calif., (not sure about Alaska, don=92t own anything there).

School levies in my state suck =85 property owners pay and every piece of shit rif-raf gets to vote for approval.

Property taxes in my part of Wa, are 12 bucks per thousand. Tack the

1K cost of the levy on top and your talking 7K for a 500K home.

To be honest, I=92d like to see all the rats vacate central coast Calif., or the San Simeon area and head for lizard country =85 Jimmy can have them!

Reply to
jim

Will do! :-)

How much can you use the Internet and vehicle for not-directly-business-related uses before the IRS won't let you claim them in their entirety? (I figure that at least the Internet connection is the same one that, e.g., your wife uses for Girl Scout-related activities, you used for writing letters-to-the-editor, etc. -- it's not 100% just business-related activity, but of course at any traditional brick & mortar company these days the Internet surely sees plenty of employees checking their personal e-mail and other non-business-related activities too...!)

Thanks,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

the simple thing for vehicle use is to always record mileage when you have a business purpose. I only log long trips, so it is very defensible!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Girl Scouts is charity. Personal use of Internet, dream on! I have a Premium HSI connection running all kinds of stuff back-n-forth to customers. S.E.D _is_ business ;-) Letters-to-Editor, maybe one every two weeks. Pre-typed, so sending time is nil.

Truck.. actually I forgot, I dropped it also... too much paperwork for a trivial deduction... only 30K miles on the truck in 11 years. ...Jim Thompson

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead Which old Witch? Wicked Witch Pelosi!

Fair, make some money some months, lose some others, net maybe slightly negative. We invested in a couple of expensive people, marketing and programming, that are supposed to, theoretically, pay off in the long term.

Luckily we have no debt and some savings in the bank, so we can afford to lose a little for a long time. Things seem to be slowly sloping upward from the truly terrible mid-part of 2009.

Under Fed law, we can refile previous years corporate income taxes and blend in current losses. Which means we'll get a decent heap of money back from the Feds this year, maybe state too.

John

Gotcha...

Thanks for the information!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

I wonder how that affects AB32, the global warming solutions act that will now be implemented due to prop 23 defeat, which would have suspended AB32. AB32 involves fees to cover admin costs, but fees now require a 2/3rds vote due to prop 26. Sounds like a court case.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Sounds great to me!

John

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Every year the GOP shakes down the legislature to get that 2/3rd vote. It doesn't matter if the gov is a Democrat or GOP. Back room deals are made for votes. This rule costs us money big time. Worse yet, the governor does smoke and mirror games to get a budget that meets the

2/3rd rule. Maldonado wouldn't vote yes unless he got a proposition on the ballot. It is just as bad as the Corn Husker shakedown.
Reply to
miso

in

em in

e same

ed for

ed

days

ail

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

quoted text -

Sounds like you never really had an opportunity to take advantage of one of the best breaks that Bush put out for the sole proprietor who filed schedule C, the section 179 deduction. Prior to bush it was capped at 25K, he jacked it up to about 110K. It was a one time capital equipment expense for the year.

This year it heads back down to 25K.

In my opinion the best thing Bush did for the consulting stiff.

Reply to
jim

Yep, non-funding of the most bureaucratic processes is a tried and true method of at least dragging it out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Without prop 13 I probably would not ever have moved to CA :-)

Simple majority for tax hikes is a recipe for taxing old grandma out of her little house, a sad fact that can be seen in some areas on the other coast :-(