Mileage

135 MPH is the fastest I've ever driven... on that stretch of autobahn from Frankfurt down to the Bühlertal exit.

Stateside I find 110 MPH is about the right speed for our less than well-banked Interstate curves.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Nonsense! Driving skills can be kept honed thru use ;-)

And, from your weenie behavior, I'd guess my mental age is far younger than yours ;-)

...Jim Thompson

There are highways in Southern California where the speed limit is 70 or

75, and the average speed at commute time is about 20. ;-)

Why do they call it "rush hour", when most of the people in it spend most of their time just sitting there? I'd call it "Don't rush hour"! ;-)

Cheers! RIch

Reply to
Rich Grise

but

Oy! Ever driven through switchbacks, with some old fart in front of you? It's all "No passing" in the esses, and the guy goes about 10 MPH, then you get to a straight, where is's _legal_ to pass the roob, and even _safe_, so he tromps on it and does the straight so fast that it'd be hazardous to try to pass, and then gets to the next set of esses, and slows to 10 again?

That's kind of frustrating.

;-) Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 02:22:14 +0000, Joerg wrote: ...

s/city/county/

;-) Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My maryland driving record was 3 pages long. I had just about every kind of speeding ticket you could get. I certainly did get a 1 over ticket on the beltway but it was a black cop and I had Florida tags at the time. Even the backup cop who showed up was surprised. Maybe it was just payback for something but it still happened.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe you just passed him on a slow day, when he was way behind his quo

-er- Productivity Guideline.

Reply to
Stephen Rush

Hello Rich,

When my layouter was down there the first thing he said was that motorists in L.A. must drink way too much coffee...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

When I first started driving (circa 1972), the cops did give tickets for 6 MPH over the limit on most roads. But there has never been an automobile that had a speedometer that was accurate to +/- 1 MPH. Just changing from one brand of tires to another would foil that kind of accuracy.

If you took that ticket to court, it would have been thrown out instantly.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

I have a feeling he wasn't even supposed to be doing traffic that night. (no radar, it was a "pace") The backup cop seemed surprised he was writing a ticket. He also didn't show up in court. I really wanted to hear that story. I guess he assumed I wouldn't show. Tricked again. I was living there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Which is precisely why the terminology was changed to peak (demand) time. Low speeds (no rush except for the psychological state of some of the drivers), and it lasts far more than one hour (3:30 PM to 7:00 PM)

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Even Califonia is starting to realize the fuel economy value/advantage of higher compression engines (10:1).

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

They were designed and built for 70 MPH traffic.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[snip]

It's hard to tell what they were "designed" for. Here in Ahwatukee Foothills, the tightly curved ramp from Pecos Road to I10W say 45MPH. I drive it at 70MPH... feels like level ground.

...Jim Thompson

Isn't that in the list of "Famous Last Words"?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Probably ;-)

What troubles me is the high percentage of young folk lurking on this group who behave like they're old and demented.

...Jim Thompson

When this has happened to me, I pull over an enjoy the view for a while (all the switchbacks I have found are on mountainsides) and let my blood pressure cool down a little.

Reply to
Richard Henry