Mileage

Got around to entering my gas consumption into Excel for our recent trip to Tombstone.

Except for short duration ramp slowdowns, typical speed... 90 MPH

Curb weight 5270 pounds

Mileage 20.554 MPG ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Ahem, watch for them flashing lights in the rearview.

I get 25mpg. 4000lbs with me in there. Could be less if I'd stay away from all those cookies ;-)

This is with CA gas. With Nevada gas it's 28mpg.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

My new Rabbit (2500 lbs) got 21 mpg on a trip to Monterey, mostly highway miles, much of it hilly. I think the rack on top cost a couple of mpg. I get about 15 in town, but that's stop-and-go and very hilly.

The speedo goes to 160 mph, which is silly, but I'd sure like to find out.

John

Joerg a écrit :

You guys are just gas suckers. Depending on my driving, I get between 45 and 52mpg. It's even a bit better on motorways (speed limit 80mph here).

Of course I don't feel any necessity to take 5000lbs of scrap iron with me.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I've not rented a Rabbit, but the VW Golfs I've rented in Germany would only do 100 MPH, pedal-to-the-metal.

I rented an Opel something-or-other and caught up to the Mercedes traffic at 135 MPH ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Ahem! Some of us carry a Radar/Lidar detector with us at all times, AND when I rent cars (even in Virginia ;-)

One of the "benefits" of Californication ?:-)

Bet you weren't doing 90 either ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Bof. My 4600lbs vehicle does 31mpg, daily commuting. On long trips it's 37. OK, it's a diesel. That helps.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

This is the born-again Rabbit, the only one I've seen in town so far. It has the 2.5l 5-cylinder Audi engine and an amazing 5-speed manual gearbox. I know that VW quality isn't up there with Japanese iron, but it sure feels good.

John

Hello Fred,

Engines out here are, unfortunately, of the lower compression kind. 8.5 or so while my car in Europe was around 10.5 and much better in fuel economy.

It's different out here. You must often haul building materials, firewood, pellets and so on, over half a ton at a time. And over roads that, well, you guys wouldn't call roads. A regular passenger car would collapse.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

My then-boss Wayne and I went to Switzerland c. 1985 intent on renting a Porsche, but settling on a Ford Escort for $400/day.

In compensation, I insisted on breaking 100MPH, which was managed on the straight, on the downside of an Alpine slope, and quickly aborted before the next turn. It took a few tries, but, except for a region of resonance spawning speed-wobbles around 90MPH--and Wayne begging for his life--it went pretty smoothly.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hello John,

You must have lead foot. I have never managed to consume that much gas per mile in a Golf or Rabbit.

Be careful above 110mph or so. IMHO that vehicle is too light up there and you might have to wrestle with fishtailing and stuff like that. I found the same with the Audi 80 (A4 now). It weaved a bit up there while my big station wagon hugged the curves as if it was on tracks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Not at 90 MPH you didn't ;-)

If I could stand the boredom I should do the Phoenix-Yuma trip (100% Interstate I8, NO cities, not much traffic) at the speed limit and see what I get... probably get 30 MPG.

I typically drive that at 110 MPH... not only NO cities, but only ONE cop in the 200+ mile stretch ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I'm not stupid enough to drive 90 MPH. I outgrew those urges when I was 20.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Jim,

But you never know where he or she is. Some day they'll wise up to your radar detector and turn on their speed gun the millisecond you see them. A loud screech and smoke coming off the tires won't exactly help in convincing them that you really weren't going that fast...

Out here they sometimes use a Cessna to clock you, then radio the result to a cruiser. No detector against that one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

With that kind of curb weight and speed, that's decent mileage.

Last (4-day) weekend, wife and I just drove from Albuquerque, to Pasadena, to Las Vegas, and me back to Albuquerque in our Buick (don't know the curb weight) 6-cylinder, and got 24.5 mpg. Average speed 70 mph; top speed 82 mph (I didn't want to risk a ticket).

One time on I-40 East of Flagstaff I wanted to see what the Buick could do, so I just kept accelerating until I hit 115 mph, and the engine just cut out. I panicked, thinking I had busted something. After coasting for what seemed like minutes, but in actuality was probably only 5 seconds, the engine kicked back on. I realized it was a computer controlled governor. Maybe I'll get an aftermarket EEPROM someday.

Now, what does all this have to do with S.E.D.??

Tom Pounds

BTW: I like to cook with wine, also, etc. etc.

Reply to
tlbs101

Not Wayne Johnston?

I stayed in a hotel in Geneva for a few days ca 1980. I sent out a small bag of sox and underwear to be washed, and the tab came to $85, cash only.

I can live without fondue, I think.

John

Yep. I thought so myself. Actually it surprised me, that's significantly better than my 1996 Q45 did... it'd only get about 17.5 MPG at that speed, but also got the same in-city, as does the new Q45 (17.5 MPG).

You can thank me for that. I did it analog-style for Ford in 1968 ;-)

S.E.D? Doesn't that mean "Serving Every Discussion" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

None other than that redoubtable and dashing legendary same.

Good chocolate though!

Best wishes, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

If Jim has a blowout at those speeds they won't find enough to feed a buzzard.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And you don't live where counties are bigger than east coast states, and 150 miles between places to (legally) take a leak ;-) ;-)

...Jim Thompson