VCD to power consumption trace

Hi all,

I have captured the toggle counts of my design in a VCD file and I wonder if there are now any tools available that allow me to plot a nice estimate of the dynamic power consumption of my design over time. Maybe there exists a tool that also always me to assign weights to the different nodes?

Many thanks for your help!

Reply to
Martin Klein

If this is a design that is synthesized in Altera devices, then you would use Quartus' Power Analyzer tool. That tool uses the VCD file as input and it generates an output report breaking things down by I/O or core, by voltage, etc.

If your design is targeting a device from some other supplier, then presumably they will also have a similar type of tool.

Kevin Jennings

Reply to
KJ

Xpower from Xilinx does something similar, but you don't get any indication of power as function of time. The .vcd file is used as a "steady state" indication of power consumption, so you only get a single number for each type of usage representing the average usage over the time period simulated.

I suppose you could break the vcd into time segments and run the tools through with each segment to see how power changes over time at a crude scale. You might miss some narrow peaks, though.

-- Gabor

Reply to
Gabor