MicroZED

we sell a lot of our stuff to them ;)

and then on weekend we can drive there to buy cheap wine, beer, candy and such because they have lower VAT, and while we are there we can get our cars serviced because they have lower salaries

well I don't 300km is a bit long for a shopping trip

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not so much. Hurricanes are a fairly normal event in NY. They insist on building closer and closer to the water, though.

krw

You just want to make it harder for us to come bail your ass out again.

Reply to
krw

Nah, it's the big ones that will be busted up the most small ones will survive id proplerly maintained. expect some surprises.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Not so. The resonant frequency of the large buildings is low enough that they'll stay together. At 10-20 stories, they're done.

Reply to
krw

that helps with longitudinal waves, not so much with the vertical waves.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

That list is for the State of New York. Most of them didn't really hit the city. A typical "hurricane" by New York standards, that did actually hit the city, was Irene 2 years ago, when I saw one fallen tree. Before that it was a decade before a "hurricane" that was even that bad. After Sandy there was a fallen tree or two on almost every block. Just finding clear streets to drive around them was difficult. In my lifetime before Sandy there were no hurricanes that seemed like more than a heavy rain.

A week after Sandy I heard a weird noise and went outside to see a scene from Hitchcock's "The Birds." Every tree for at least a one-block radius was covered with crows. The migration must have been disrupted. After a 5 minute rest they all took off.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

Floyd in 1999 was a bit of an adventure where I am, because although it was well off its peak strength, it stalled just about right over me for almost a whole day, so we got over 24 inches of rain. That was pretty exciting, because my back yard is a former pond bottom that drains via a

10-inch storm drain. We had about 8 feet of water in the bottom of the garden, and maybe 10 inches in the basement. There were houses washed off their foundations nearby as well. A friend of mine saved several people from being swept away by floodwaters at the Ossining train station.

Irene washed out the street between my house and my lab. It was 6 months before it was back to normal.

Sandy was a bit of an adventure even here on the Hudson. Boats wound up on the train tracks (my Hobie Cat floated about 100 feet uphill, trailer and all, and dragged a 100-foot section of fence along with it. There's a 100-foot ridge just east of my house, so since Sandy's winds were from the east just here, it was a non-event. A block away, where the ridge ends, 100-foot trees were uprooted or broken in half all over the place. One guy had four of them snapped off or uprooted in his yard, but his house was untouched.

A 1200-mile wide hurricane is no joke.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You should spend more time look up the facts rather than the Hollywood (or even the Western) narcissistic view of World War 2. For every 1 American who died opposing the axis forces about 100 other people died doing the same thing, including approximately 60 Russians and 20 Chinese. In terms of percentages and in totals the major players, the US lost the fewest people, suffered the least damage and endured for the shortest time. In addition to that much of the war production help 'given' to the various allies was actually sold for hard currency and debt agreements. The Nazi's always saw the war as a strong emphasis on 'the eastern front' and the western front was defended at half the troop ratio (nazi to enemy) of the eastern front. These are all facts you can verify.

America's role in WW2 was not insignificant, but it was one of many and leader in very few aspects. America did not win the victory and certanily not by itself. IMO The worst part is that narcissistic view that exults the 1% and dismisses the 99% who in every way gave just as much and to we all in the free world owe just as much.

Reply to
David Eather

The main thing is that without us, the Soviet Union would have claimed all of Europe and got the bomb first. So they wouldn't be speaking German as people sometimes say.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yep, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. You will need to have your ass bailed out again. Dumbass Europeons.

Reply to
krw

Irrelevant. NY is a small target, and that list shows how common NE hurricanes are. It's been relatively quiet in the last few decades (Global Warming, you know) so the NE has been very lax. They simply got caught. It had been predicted or *years*.

Irrelevant. Most gulf hurricanes didn't hit NOLA, either, but it was only a matter of time until they paid the price for living under water, thanks to the USG.

Also irrelevant. Hurricanes are *not* unknown to the NE, contrary to firmly held belief of the residents and politicians. They got what they asked for.

Reply to
krw

Wrong. I'm going by what those who research such things have to say.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Oct 2013 08:49:25 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote nothing

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The problem with New Orleans was the absurdly dangerous, poorly maintained 17th Street Canal and the Industrial Canal, both manmade spears pointing into the heart of the city. Katrina wasn't even a super severe hurricane.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

They've even had genocide in the past 20 years and wouldn't do anything about it until we arrived.

And just like in 1939 they had enough military power to do it without us, but didn't.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

That's not true. In the breakup and genocide of Yugoslavia the EU were wanting to go but the US as part of NATO refused for domestic political reasons.

In 1939? I assume you mean before 1 September 1939. The Holocaust hadn't even started. There were no camps set up for the sole purpose of mechanizing the death of the inmates and no one outside of Germany (and few inside Germany) imagined the coming genocides.

If you are referring to military action, why do you think Germany quickly defeated Poland, France, Ukraine and half of Russia? Did you think at all before posting that crap?

Reply to
David Eather

A retreat from you original position to a hypothetical 'what if' that is probably a load of shit. True about (most of) Europe not speaking German, but the Soviets were like the Germans and not expending effort to develop a bomb. That change a little when they started getting information from the Manhattan project and changed a lot more after the first 'practical'. But the biggest increase came after Truman had approved development of 100 nuclear weapons (in response to the pentagon request for around 1000 of them) which was after 1945.

As it was the Soviet Union was almost spent by the time it reached Berlin and Stalin ordered the armies to stop knowing they couldn't be supplied and the economy couldn't withstand it. Without the US the Germans would have penetrated deeper into Russia and because of that it the march to Berlin would have taken much longer and both of them would have been bleed each other even more, giving the British and the commonwealth the time to build. The Soviets would have taken all of Germany but it is unlikely they could have taken any more territory and almost certainly not to France.

Reply to
David Eather

MY original position? This is the first thing I said about it.

It also would have changed a lot when at least some of the scientists in Europe went to the Soviets instead of us.

The winter would have stopped them in exactly the same way.

There would have been nothing in their way. The British would never have been able to invade Italy much less France.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Nothing a leftist Europeon could possibly understand, obviously.

Reply to
krw