Max fluoro tube osc.

Would anyone have an idea what might be the maximum frequency of current reversal possible by applying a suitable AC signal to an ordinary household fluorescent tube?

I have seen some reference to using them as experimental plasma antennae and want to try it out.

Ben Goodlee

Reply to
Ben Goodlee

Ben Goodlee inscribed thus:

If its any help I have illuminated 2ft tubes with 144.5Mhz. About 35w from a 640 tube amplifier. Whilst they do radiate a signal, its barely as good as a proper 1/4 wave antenna.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

I cannot find info on the "640 tube amp" you describe. Can you please tell me where I might find this or a schematic?

Did you use a matching network, or any other adaptation to drive the tube?

BTW, I only need to go to a few MHz, if there is a more suitable solution for this lower frequency.

Thank you,

Ben G.

Reply to
Ben Goodlee

Ben Goodlee inscribed thus:

Any ARRL Handbook ! Or google "RF Ampifier"

Yes ! The tube was coupled by two or three turns and a 25pf variable cap into the PA output and ground. Essentially an "L" match tuned for maximum burn. Actually you could get the tube to light just touching a PA anode while feeding the antenna.

Not done any real playing about with lower frequencies ! Not something that ever excited me enough to want to. But the principles are just the same.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Just to let you know, that's a bum steer. Google on "RF Ampifier" returns hundreds of references to the Fairchild 2N5952 - N-channel Rf Ampifier, but nothing related to 640 tube amplifiers.

--
-jiw
Reply to