mathematical nonsense

Yes, I have an HP-35 and HP-67. Used to carry the HP-67 everywhere on my belt but it caused trouble at airport security so now it stays in the lab. There is an iphone emulator app I use on the go now, ios apps also exist for HP-35 and HP-32 (and probably others too).

piglet

Reply to
Piglet

I doubt it's "pride"; rather, an excuse for their underdeveloped skill set. It's much easier (lazier) to claim ignorance of something that folks THINK OF as difficult than it is to actually step up to the challenge.

Math isn't hard. It follows rules. Those rules actually make sense, if you put your mind to thinking about them.

*History* is hard. Unless you can remember all of the causes and effects AND timelines, when asked when/why some obscure event happened, you'll likely have to ballpark your answer ("in the late 18th century")

Really? I went through 12 years of primary school with my classmates envious of the fact that I could do the math in my head. No one was "shocked". No one was "shocked" at the jocks who had prowess on the court.

When I was a young kid, I'd accompany my mom to the grocery store. She'd invariably have some coupon that was only valid if you spent a certain amount of money ($20). She'd ask me if she had spent enough (in the checkout line).

As everything had price tags, back then, I would simply form a running total, in my head, as I was placing the items on the conveyor belt. I'd then announce the total to my mother.

A few seconds later, the cashier would make the same statement.

And, look at me with a strong sense of /deja vu/. I'd just smile at her.

More than once, I'd tell the cashier they had made a mistake. (Oh, they love it when a little 8 year old tells them that!) Mom would have them check the receipt (impartial third party). Yup! They'd rung something up twice!

Or, forgotten some item(s).

Nowadays, I am forced to do this WHILE shopping as nothing has price tags, anymore. But, the cashiers wonder why I always have the correct amount of *cash* in my hands when they announce the total! ("cents back")

When I was a pre-teen, my folks bought me a calculator. A month or two later, I found myself unable to beat the cashier at totaling mom's groceries. I never used the calculator again!

Or, one could actually have an innate skill and eliminate the guesswork!

[I actually met an /idiot savant/, once. He was *scary* fast! It made me realize what other folks must think of *my* skillset!]
Reply to
Don Y

That's a tail of the literacy curve. Many states have *laws* requiring any legal documents be expressed at F-K "9th grade level or below". I.e., an open acknowledgement that a significant fraction of their citizenry can't understand HIGH SCHOOL level!

I know people that will stare at you in a stupor if you use a double negative. (c'mon, it's not rocket science! parse the sentence!)

I've had some heated discussions with my lawyer, recently, over language that they've created. "Oh! Yes, you're right! That *doesn't* say what I was trying to say when I wrote it!"

My other half often asks me what some term means (she's reading about CRISPR, presently).

When I prepare technical documentation, I invariably have to revise it several times, before release, to lower the effective complexity of my prose. Of course, the goal is to maximize the number of readers who can accurately understand it as well as minimize the amount of potential ambiguity.

Reply to
Don Y

20% literate? Insane.

"The World Factbook reports that the U.S. has a literacy rate of 99 percent, and is number 28 of the 214 nations included. Using its definition, literacy refers to the percentage of people age 15 or older who can read and write.[19][18]"

Reply to
jlarkin

That's not what the bar graph shows; the 'Level 1' number plus 'could not participate' is under 20 percent. Level 2 and above should probably be considered functionally literate.

Reply to
whit3rd

[Snip!]

This sort-of proves the point.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Absolutely! I frequently work on interesting problems at night with the lights off. It is all approximations. It relaxes me and helps me get to sleep. Fun.

Reply to
John S

I guess it depends on what you read.

you believe.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sadly, some people use a double negative as an emphasis of the negation, which makes them ambiguous. Parsing that kind of sentence is risky.

Lawyers do look out for potential ambiguities.

Why doesn't she look it up?

my prose. Of course, the goal is to maximize the number of readers who can accurately understand it as well as minimize the amount of potential ambiguity.

My father's prescription was to leave in a drawer for six months. That was usually enough time to allow you to forget what you'd originally intended it to mean, so you could appreciate what other people might think it might mean. Getting somebody else to read it is quicker.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Yeah, but they also analyze odors (as do dogs) with exquisite precision. That means they compute correlations of the various aroma receptors with memorized patterns, which in a mechanism for chemosensing is a sophisticated mathematical analysis. Sniffing around the garden, those cats are doing a high-throughput bunch of multiply-accumulates.

Reply to
whit3rd

Alternative Math | Short Film:

John S

Wow.excellent article, thanks!

Reply to
Wond

Ya, and they forced a Yale psychiatry professor to resign for saying Trump supporters were delusional morons. Money talks, and free speech walks.

"Progressive liberals are blind to the fact that there is a regime take-over apace everywhere in academic institutions."

Been the same paranoia about academia for the better part of a hundred years, now.

"The reason that challenging any aspect of this dominant ideology is taboo is because it leaves you vulnerable to the charge that you are uncomfortable with the project of empowering minorities"

Tends to be correct a lot of the time

"If this echoes a Maoist take-over, that’s because it is."

LOL, this author thinks Maoism started in universities.

"The rise of the technocrat"

The Maoist revolution and the Soviet revolutions were reactionary agrarian revolutions, a rebellion against "modernity", a populist rejection of the ideas of the same kind of "technocrats" and academics that populists in America would prefer to reject, also.

Reply to
bitrex

There's little evidence human or animal brains work like a Turing machine. And if returning results of functions put into memory by humans is "doing math" then my laptop is among the best mathematicians in the world

Reply to
bitrex

The sadly amusing thing is adjuncts are the university equivalent of call center employees - they are f****ng temps, they're relatively low-paid, and there's zero opportunity for advancement in academia unless you're PhD-track. Turnover is high. The type of employee who gets treated worse as time goes on and not better because they think you're silly for staying in that job so long.

That is to say they're hired and fired all the time over all sorts of stuff, probably fifty of them will be fired in the US tomorrow for all sorts of reasons.

So it's amusing that presumably tenured or tenure-track "boomer professors" would come out in this employees defense on this particular issue as they'd never reliably lift a finger to defend a friggin' ADJUNCT against being fired for so much as being regularly late coming back from their lunch break.

This particular one was too dumb to know how to turn off her Zoom meeting before making her comments about her students being dumb. Guaranteed it wasn't the first retarded thing she ever did there.

Reply to
bitrex

What a waste of effort. If you want your kid to go somewhere in life knowing 2 + 2 = 5 you just pay $100,000 to have their test scores inflated and another $100,000 to your contact at Yale or Georgetown to admit them. Like people who really matter do...

Reply to
bitrex

Oh, your laptop does electric thresholds and logic functions, not math; only with a lot of software, does a numeric output get to the display. While it's Turing-complete, it is NOT a Turing machine, it has lots of other functionality.

A cat brain does neural thresholds and behavioral functions, not math; the display is ... feline behaviors. The fact that the brain isn't computer-similar doesn't mean it doesn't do mathematical operations. Heck, a slide rule is nothing like a Turing machine, but it "does math".

Reply to
whit3rd

It does arithmetic - specifically multiplication - but only in the hands of somebody who knows what they are doing and can read its markings to turn them into results.

A human brain can be used as a Turing machine - we can read paper tape and act on the instructions encoded in the tape. How it does that is not understood in detail, but Turing machines all the way down would work.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Not only in the US and not only in math. Behold:

We are doomed.

Euro-centric??? What do they mean and what is wrong with that, anyway?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

We are becoming more valuable as all the kids are becoming idiots. The geography and sociology grads can groom our yards and babysit our pets.

All those culture warriors are wearing jeans and shoes and bras and toting cell phones and living in houses with electricity and clean hot and cold water.

If they get a strep infection, they aren't going to a traditional healer, they want penicillin.

Reply to
jlarkin