weird tube sort of thing

What is this?

I'm guessing it's an old waveguide t/r switch gas discharge thing.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

Looks like a Dreidel to me >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I'd suggest that the pinched tube was used to first evacuate the unit and/or then to insert a gas mixture into it. It could then become a conductive element. (It may also have served during glass blowing?) No idea what it looks inside, though -- no pictures. I have only wild guesses right now.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yup, that's my guess, too.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

No it is not a waveguide gas discharge T/R switch. I have seen those and this does not match (no waveguide flanges).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Could be a disc-seal diode. Maybe even triode (I can't make out how many connections).

The venerable Rohde & Schwarz Polyskop SWOB 1 used a similar-looking triode in its cavity oscillator.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

--
Since what seems to be a tubulation is crimped, it may have been used
to suck down the tube and then to backfill it with???
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

It doesn't seem to have filament connections, although it could be a diode. I'm guessing it's a waveguide thing and the top connection is the keep-alive. Maybe a high-current gas discharge triggered spark-gap sort of thing?

I should have ohm'd things and such.

Yes. I was cleaning up my junk cubby downstairs and found it in a dusty box. I must have picked it up a a flea market long ago.

I'll do that next week.

Ditto. It's about an inch in diameter.

Yeah, it could be some sort of high current closing switch, and the

3rd electrode is the trigger.