LTspice, a great program, but that UI! - Page 7

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

I've been through the documentation many times and not all of these
keystrokes were made apparent to me.  Yes, somewhere there is a list of
all the hotkeys, but mostly they are control keys and weeding through
the list for the few useful ones is not so easy.

I changed one of the hot keys in the settings so cntl-z was undo as is
the case in so many windows programs.  It was promptly forgotten...

I seem to recall fixing some of the waveform colors so they stood out on
a laptop LCD screen... all gone.

If you use the program every day, it can become very familiar.  If not,
the arcane little idiosyncrasies get on your nerves.   Why doesn't
cntl-A select all the text in a text field???  There's a million things
like this that the few nice features don't make up for.

--

Rick C

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

Yes, somewhere in the control panel (the hammer symbol).

here it works. Maybe it has been fixed.

I remember I have changed some (at least the dark blue, which is hard to
see on black) and they're still there.

I fully agree but I have got used to the ones I need and live with it.
Especially with text fields, every program behaves different. If you
want a new line, in some you press return, others want ctrl or alt
return :-(

Robert

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

I just tried that, and it went and connected up incorrectly.
Ahmmm...probably because I am unable to use LTpPice.

It didn't used to do that. Mike copied that from me :-)

But in reality, I hardly ever use that feature

So, you don't see the value in having docked, tabbed sidebars that you can
drag any of the component form any library?

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/screenshots.htm

To add model libraries, you just drag drop the file from explorer. Symbols
for standard models are attached automatically.

There is no rational reason to have the ctrl key as well, SS don't do that,
its just "r" "m" "f" to rotate, mirror flip up/down. Zoom in/out is "i" "o"

Double-clicking on component does what you expect in windows, as does right
click popping up a menu :-)

-- Kevin Aylward
http://www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice
http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/index.html

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

How did you do it? I never had problems here. Works like a charm.

:-)

Sometimes, when I have to insert something, I simply drag the block a
bit away and throw the components in.

When I hack something into LTSpice, I normally first draw the schematic
and then set the values for the components. When I need an OpAmp, i hit
the component button, type op07 and I have it. Don't care from which
library it comes. Some people may prefer it different.

cool.

"r" is already resistor :-)

I suppose the original program did not come from the Windows world. It
is like if you use some 'original Linux' programs that have been ported
to Windows. Some things drive you crazy when you are not used to it.

Robert

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

[snip]

Monumental BS.

I invite anyone who thinks that the LTspice GUI is "as fast as no
second program I know" to drop by, if you're in the East Valley area
of the Phoenix 'burbs, and see a demonstration of a real schematic
capture.

Bring your laptop.

At that time we'll locate a mutually acceptable schematic image off
the web, you can enter it in LTspice, I'll enter with MicroSim PSpice
Schematics... you'll get your ass whipped >:-}

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

Considering his statement, your reply is a bit lacking in logic, isn't
it Jim?

He gave no indication that he knows MicroSim PSpice, so his statement is
not necessarily "Monumental BS".

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 10:00:24 -0700, Jim Thompson

Challenge them to a drag race too. And a fist fight.

But not a cook-off. You'd lose that one.

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

I'm afraid I won't be in that area in the near future.
I don't know MicroSim. But I know some other more or less expensive
professional software... This video about OrCad for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZUPBLNuaHk

is surely not optimized for speed but it shows major lacks in OrCad.
You must draw every wire one by one, exactly hit the pins and sometimes
OrCad ends the wire in free air (2:32). That's what I call BS.
In LTSpice I would just place the components and draw a closed wire loop
through all of them and they are connected. Definitely faster.
And inserting the Switch (3:03), he has to delete the wire, place the
switch and draw another wire. I would just drop the switch over the wire
and it is connected.

not sure about that :-). Can you explain how MicroSim makes it faster?

Robert

P.S. just for fun, I tried an astable multivibrator. Can you beat 1:32?

Version 4
SHEET 1 880 680
WIRE -112 -96 -272 -96
WIRE 32 -96 -112 -96
WIRE 208 -96 32 -96
WIRE 320 -96 208 -96
WIRE -112 -48 -112 -96
WIRE 32 -48 32 -96
WIRE 208 -48 208 -96
WIRE 320 -48 320 -96
WIRE -272 48 -272 -96
WIRE -112 80 -112 32
WIRE -64 80 -112 80
WIRE 32 80 32 32
WIRE 32 80 0 80
WIRE 80 80 32 80
WIRE 208 80 208 32
WIRE 208 80 160 80
WIRE 224 80 208 80
WIRE 320 80 320 32
WIRE 320 80 288 80
WIRE -112 112 -112 80
WIRE 320 112 320 80
WIRE 80 160 160 80
WIRE 80 160 -48 160
WIRE 160 160 80 80
WIRE 256 160 160 160
WIRE -272 272 -272 128
WIRE -112 272 -112 208
WIRE -112 272 -272 272
WIRE 320 272 320 208
WIRE 320 272 -112 272
WIRE -112 288 -112 272
FLAG -112 288 0
SYMBOL npn 256 112 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q1
SYMATTR Value BC847A
SYMBOL npn -48 112 M0
SYMATTR InstName Q2
SYMATTR Value BC847A
SYMBOL res -128 -64 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 1k
SYMBOL res 16 -64 R0
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value 47k
SYMBOL res 304 -64 R0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 1k
SYMBOL res 192 -64 R0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 47k
SYMBOL cap 0 64 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 100n
SYMBOL cap 288 64 R90
WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName C2
SYMATTR Value 100n
SYMBOL voltage -272 32 R0
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value 5
TEXT -306 312 Left 2 !.tran 100m startup uic
TEXT 432 -48 Left 2 ;1:32 draw the schematic (including values)
TEXT 432 -16 Left 2 ;1:47 Simulation on screen

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

MicroSim created the original PSpice.  You're looking at what OrCAD
could do to f..k it up.

When OrCAD came along and bought out MicroSim I refused to play along
and switch to OrCAD Crapture.

Fortunately, so did many others.  So even up into many years after the
Cadence acquisition, MicroSim PSpice Schematics was "supported".

But "support" was a joke.  Cadence was systematically removing
features.  Fortunately PSpice has always been .INI file based.  So an
engineer at ON Semi and I colluded and dug back thru our archives and
restored the original .INI

Support was a joke, nothing was being improved at each maintenance
update, so I quit paying maintenance at v15.7.0.p001

Fortunately I had, long ago, been provided a blanket license, since I
had been one of the main antagonists over the years, finding all the
bugs and quirks, and causing features to be added that suited my IC
design needs.

After an initial purchase of $8,000 in 1987 and maintenance over the
years, I've got about $40K invested.

It's been a good investment... I've designed at least 60 chips with
it, everyone of which came straight out working to spec.

(Though I've got to admit I probably have around 80 chip designs with
almost as good a success rate that were done before CAD ;-)

I won't bother duplicating your example... I want a live competitor...
I love to watch "mouthers" sweat >:-}

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

There was nothing wrong with the OrCAD DOS products - it's hard to think
how the SDT and PCB products could be improved upon. When they moved to
Windows - different story.

Re: LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

Yep, I actually liked SDT, then there came Crapture >:-}

                                        ...Jim Thompson