LTspice, a great program, but that UI!

I have boards with 1100 parts. 10-layer boards with several FPGAs and

22 power supplies. Boards full of Eclips Plus logic and SiGe comparators and power PHEMTS and RF transistors. Boards that sell for $11,000. If I can knock out a switcher design in an hour, using an LTC part, I can move on to the hard/fun stuff.

If I expect to build thousands of something relatively cheap (which I prefer to not do!) I might spend some time evaluating cheaper parts, which might not have a decent Spice model at all.

On that 22-supply board, I used mostly TPS54302 synchronous switchers, very cool little parts. I breadboarded five different voltage outputs with different inductors and caps and loop compensations. I have never got WebBench to load on my PC.

 Click to see the full signature

It's not a sales tool, IMO, but a support tool. Imagine that your job is to answer the phone when people call with questions about one of your company's hundreds of SMPS controllers. Being able to say "Send us a simulation" or "Check out this example" has got to be more or less priceless.

That'll be why they originally called it "SwitcherCAD." It wasn't originally meant to model opamps and 6L6s and stuff.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

It takes longer than 30 minutes to search for a simple part[*] and a

*lot* longer to just understand the datasheet. [*] I play the FAEs off each other for this step but I still have to talk to them.

You don't test SMPSs?

Reply to
krw

You're being ridiculous.

Wait a minute. You said competent engineers optimized the designs even for low volume production.

You can't even search TI for an SMPS in a half an hour. It takes their FAE longer than that to find the best fit for some applications (ones he hasn't already searched).

For a prduction run of a hundred units? Please!

Reply to
krw

Exactly. For low volume, high margin, production it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time on support circuits. High-volume, low margin (they go together) designs, one spends a *lot* longer than a half an hour optimizing things.

Reply to
krw

Spend a couple of days to save $50!

 Click to see the full signature

Seems that's Kevin's business plan. He could get rich that way.

Reply to
krw

Or more importantly, avoid the calls entirely because the user can see what's (not) happening.

Reply to
krw

It wouldn't be if they didn't worry about the competition and bring out their own spice with slightly incompatible models.

I'm raising my hand...

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yep, I actually liked SDT, then there came Crapture >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Boy, ain't that the truth! I don't know how many projects I've lost, saying, "You're not listening, so I'm outta here."

My personal burn is they come to me with a board heavily populated by OpAmps everywhere, and want me to simply put it all on a chip. When I ask for an overall system spec, they get all grousey. It's hard for me to convince these dorks that an OpAmp function, on-chip, can often be replaced with a couple of transistors... if any are needed at all.

Some of those very dorks lurk here >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

We call people who think like you "Blue Wire Queens" >:-}

Chips generally aren't tweakable... they either work, or they don't. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Did you fart ?

Reply to
M Philbrook

Most of the parts pages on the LT site have example LT Spice sims that you can download and run instantly, and then modify for your application.

Of course, you have to beautify them, too. They are usually very ugly.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

The LT switcher models are very good, in my limited experience. Mike says that that's because they're real transistor-level models and so have to be encrypted.

(I try to use LM2594s for everything, myself. No modelling required.) ;)

SPICE IC models are sufficiently crappy that if I'm relying on them for anything delicate I have to breadboard anyway. Discrete circuitry is the only place I'm prepared to actually trust it at all.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Grin, raises hand. App notes or circuits ripped out of AoE. (Probably more of the later... do they even make good app notes any more?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The point was about who was the biggest rock star, Mike or Me, not Spice. The spice bit was just a filter to avoid counting that Newfoundland minister...

I wasn't aware mike played guitar at all, if he does, he's probably shit :-)

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Dah....

So, LT gets $50 bucks.

Point proven.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Ho humm...

Look, we are trying to estimate the worth of LTSpice to sales, of all sales. Sure, low production runs, of low part count might well have an incompetent engineer unable to design in parts other than what is in his simulator,and hence spend $1,000 on LT Parts for the whole run.

BUT low production runs, don't generate much money for LT. Because, they are dah... low production runs. Its the larger runs that will dominate profits. The larger the production run, and the larger the number of parts, the more money to LT, and the more incentive to avoid giving that money to LT. Dah....

You need to sum up the contributions from all sources. So, sure, LTSpice has some value, but those requiring larger number of parts, that generate the most money for LT, will have a larger probability of need to check out the optimum part from other sources.

As for "optimize", its a no brainer for me to check out in a tiny fraction of the time needed to layout a board, design the system, do the design reviews etc...etc.., whether or not another part would be a better fit. Its truly trivial. I did that for 15 years, before the internet existed. We used data books then.

So, yes, even for low production runs *I* would indeed "optimise" by looking for alternatives, which would take maybe, an hour or so.

If it is really true, that 99% of engineers designing products today, are so incompetent to not check out alternates, than I retract all my claims.

Your trying to claim that, its an amazing, staggering amount of work to do minimal checkout of alternatives. I don't.

Getting a design together, even for run of 100, is going to take way, way more time than checking out another parts

What size is the design? 100 chips, 1000 chips. How long does it taker to design a system with 1000 chips. If its a two op amp, 100 off guitar effects pedal, how much money will that get LT?

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Excuse me a moment, whist I wipe the blood form my brow and the brick wall.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward