Low MOSFET IDSS current

Yes, they split sometime in the past. I seem to recall that Halted had a lot more and better junk.

It looks like Haltek shut down in 2000

It looks like the Brass Rail strip club in Sunnyvale has even shut down.

They were still going in January last time I looked. Pity.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

For serious, dangerously-stacked junk, there was Mike Quinn, in the quonset hut off the runway at the Oakland airport. Hardhat advised.

I never understood strip joints, or prostitution. How could you be sure she truly loves you? The strip joints generally had bad food anyhow.

There were two classes of guys in SV, back when. The engineers went to lunch at restaurants and dressed up a bit. The techs drove pickups, pretended to be cowboys, and went to lunch at the strip clubs.

lunatic fringe electronics

Beer goggles.

I used to take customers to the Brass Rail for lunch. They had a fabulous buffet with some of the best beef roast I have ever found. The girls would serve beer topless, but that changed later. One girl could take a full large mug of beer under one tit and pour it into a drinking glass under the other tit. That always drew applause.

My customers loved it.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I thought as much. I've got the same problems, no doubt: Unreliable contacts. My circuit isn't very sensitive to leakage, but there may be that, too.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

We had some leakage and some high-resistance contacts, apparently corrosion. We had one board that we were successively abusing, and the last cycle was water wash then another pass through the reflow oven, something that would never be done in real life. All the relays came out domed, convex on top.

The bottom line is to keep them really dry before soldering. Original packaging, dry cab, maybe bake if they have been out.

They seem fine with a leaded or lead-free temp profile, as long as they are dry before soldering and solvent washed after.

Note that the lid is an active part of the mechanism, so it doesn't want to be domed.

This happened after extreme abuse, but it shows that it is possible to force water into a "sealed" relay.

Another part we had trouble with were surface-mount film caps, which delaminate and trap water. We don't use them any more.

This is funny:

lunatic fringe electronics

It'd be even more dramatic if you'd stuck a few popcorn kernels next to the surface-mount. Same effect, really, but butter improves the alternate components.

Reply to
whit3rd

As long as you're spreading around dead presidents, she truly loves you.

You're not supposed to eat the food.

Never considered eating lunch, or anything else, at a strip club. Haven't seen one that serves food.

Reply to
krw

There was a weird period in the early '80s when seemingly all the bars in Vancouver had strippers at lunch time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

hit it with a pin, or a blast of air from underneath and eject it from the tape? The assembly machine will assume it fumbled the part and advance the tape and try again.

hit it with glue from below or above so that the assembly machine can't extract it from the tape, or so that it sticks the the cover strip and vacates the tape early...

Cut a notch, or add ink, between sprocket holes? but then the assembly feeder would need to know what the notch or ink means

Jasen Betts

Just log the bad parts and forward the information to the pick&place machine. Or, just buy good parts in the first place.

Reply to
krw

Men are weird.

lunatic fringe electronics