low cost isolation amplifier

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Nov 2021 13:33:06 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net wrote in snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

An other way was use two 4046 chips, FM modulate the first one with audio on pin 9 I think it was, VCO out pin 4 to fast optocopler LED. other end: photo diode to second 4046 signal in pin 14 and have the thing in PLL mode. VCO out pin 4 to pin 3 XOR phase comparator. Loop filter, control voltage to pin 9 is your audio out. Also seventies. In the sixties for video I used 2 74121 as FM modulator driving the C via a current source.... about 7 MHz carrier I think it was any non galvanic coupling you like and any fM demodulator you like (was replacing an Ampex modulator with tubes in that experiment).

You could use a 64 us PAL glass delay line, modulate some way some carrier at 4.43 MHz, pick it up on the receiver side piezo.. Only did it for video.

basically acoustic in gals, glass is a good isolator.

Speaker and mike works too come to think of it ;-) The sound of a modem tcm3105 comes to mind... For very low speeds you could use smell,

mm maybe air pressure changes in a plastic pipe would work too

Just getting carried away a bit here..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Really? all you people with your helpful suggestions! LOL.

I interpreted the original message as

Look what I found on the WWW and posted under a sarcastic subject line.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Don't know the ATTiny but assuming they can do PWM at 20 MHz at 10 bits this would mean somewhat > 50us, not as bad as I intuitively would have assumed really. Filtering that will take its toll though, probably making it impractical (being after low cost). I was thinking more of a some "normal" DAC which is cheap enough and an MCU with an ADC driving it via some optocoupler. But like I said I don't know if there are any DACs that cheap, John is after low cost for this.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

We'll untimately want to acquire voltage and current from an isolated power supply or dummy load channel, and push that into an FPGA, so the deliverable is data. We would close some loops in the FPGA, like current and power limiting, and do waveform acquisition as a bonus feature, so I'd like at least 100K e/i pairs per second.

It could just about be done with a uP on the high side, using its ADC. Move the current limits and such up there. If we could get delivery on uPs!

We use the ADUM7703 isolated ADC in another product, and they are great, just a tad expensive for a high channel count system.

I guess we could consider some tacky home-made PWM thing.

[about isolation amplifiers]

And, don't forget power; if you want a half a megavolt of isolation for power, an ultrasonic transducer, half a meter of ceramic rod, and a second 'pickup' transducer can do the trick. That was for a van de Graaff apparatus...

Reply to
whit3rd

My solution - back in 1975 - was a three-winding transformer. Two of the windings were made with fine wire, and used only for voltage feedback. I drove the high current winding to get the voltage I wanted to send on the feedback winding, and monitored the current I was pushing in. The isolated output was feed into a sample-and-hold amplifier, which got switched to "hold" whenever the drive current got too high and was being pulled back fast to an equal and opposite current in the other direction.

The "hold" period was only a couple of milliseconds (which was fine for process control signals) and the whole set-up was cheap and remarkably accurate.

A few years later, I shifted a twelve bit word across an isolation barrier as Manchester-2 serial string, using a small feritte toroid stapled to the board with six U-shaped bits of wire - three were the drive windings and the other three the sense windings. I used a comparator with hysteresis as the receiver. That was pretty cheap too. Sigma-delta A/D converters could give you a 20-bit word these days.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman