Looking for a specific connector

Hello all,

I have a 1x6 0.1"-pitch connector that I use to program a Microchip PIC. I am now going to production so I'd like to not populate the actual connector. Does anyone know of a connector that would mate into this footprint and then somehow be engaged to expand to make a good connection. Then it could be easily disengaged to contract and allow extraction after programming is done.

I could use a standard 0.1"-pitch male connector but this doesn't make a great connection and you have to hold the connector against the side to make a good connection--and some times that doesn't work well.

It seems like a good idea but I have no idea what to search for. I tried a bit but came up with nothing.

Thank you very much. Merry Christmas.

James.

Reply to
James Morrison

google "bed of nails" eg

hope that wraps well you have a jig with spring loaded connectors that connect to pcb holes.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Although I haven't seen full clamps manufactured for this kind of thing, pogo pins such as those found at

can give you spring-loaded contacts that break through oxidation and center beautifully in holes originally designed for 25 mil square post (for instance).

Vendors such as AQL Manufacturing Co. (9755 SW Commerce Circle Wilsonville, OR 97070 - local to our company) can supply pins and pin assemblies. They make many of the test fixtures for our test engineers, I understand.

Reply to
John_H

Martin,

Thanks for the idea. That is a possibility. Given I'll need a test jig of some sort this could work.

In my mind, I was looking for something to go onto the end of a cable (like a connector).

Cheers,

James.

Reply to
James Morrison

or get a Molex catalog from your disti rw

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

Some years ago, there were "low insertion force" and "zero-insertion force" connectors, that they'd use in stuff like EPROM programmers. There also used to be a thing called a "DIP plug" that got crimped onto the end of a piece of ribbon cable, which you'd then plug into an IC socket.

I probably wouldn't want to populate a board with a ZIF socket if it was only for one-time use. If you can't afford the time to plug in an ordinary IDC plug, then a bed-of-nails is probably your best bet. You could take a look at AMP MODU, if they still make such things.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
oscarh

see the SNAP series at

oscarh

. Take a look at

to see something that should work for you.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer

I use a simple 8-pin IC test clip for PIC ICSP. Epoxy and hard-wire a 1x6 header to the clip. One additional bonus is not having to route the programming lines. It works fine provided you have clearance for the clip.

Reply to
Mike Young