Connector Pitch Problem

Howdy folks. I've been digging around to find the pitch of an ISA card edge connector, and it would seem that it's supposed to be 0.1". As a makeshift connector, a few weeks ago I dremeled up a couple of older card edge floppy connectors to make one big 62-pin, which works out fine on an ISA card since apparently those old floppy connectors are also 0.1" pitch.

Well, I'm working on a project involving an NES, and from what I've managed to find from a couple of unconfirmed sources, the cartridge connector is also supposedly 0.1". But when I compare a cartridge and an ISA card, the pins don't line up the farther on down it goes. The pins themselves seem that they might be the right size, but the spacing between them is slightly different. My makeshift connector would work, since it's in two pieces and would allow some shifting around to compensate, but whenever I take a notion to order some connectors of some sort to replace my makeshift one, I'm obviously going to have a problem.

So while this might not necessarily be the best place to ask, I figure it was a good place to start. Does anyone know the proper pitch of an NES cartridge socket? And what suppliers out there might sell them? Lots of places sell those 72-pin replacement connectors, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Though I am curious to the pitch of the NES PCB connector that the cartridge connector plugs onto, as well.

I'd also be interested in somewhere that might actually sell a blank PCB of some kind with that same style connection on the end, to plug into the cartridge slot. I heard Radio Shack sold them long ago, but I've had no luck finding any such thing. I don't really want to have to pull apart real cartridges if possible, even if they're dead.

And while I'm asking about places to order from, what would be a good supplier to find ISA connectors? 8-bit is fine, but 16-bit is just as good. Mind you I'm not really needing to bulk order anything, just a few for project work and such.

Anyhow, if anyone has any info, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
FyberOptic

FyberOptic wrote: (snip)

You are seeing the difference between an English (inches) dimensioned connector and a hard metric connector that is close (2.5 mm spacing, instead of 2.54 mm) but not the same.

Digikey sells both versions in many types.

Reply to
John Popelish

It's likely on 2.5mm pitch then.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I concurr.

yup.

(guess: 2.5mm or 2.4mm)

try a recycler, they're easily removed after blowtorching the back of the motherboard for a few seconds. just wait till the plastic starts to melt.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen