Looking for a connector

Hello,

I am trying to use a LCD panel from a old Dell laptop. I dismantled the panel. I have a FPGA kit and found a LCD controller from opencores site. I need to find a way to interface the FPGA to the panel. On the kit side, it is basic 40-pin IDE connector. But I am unable to identify the connector on the panel. Here is a picture of it.

It appears to have 60 pins. I will grateful if someone can identify the connector type and where I can find a mate for it.

Thanks, Manjunath

Reply to
uforians

It's probably a custom internal LVDS bus, or some form of LDI.

You'll need the proper LVDS chip to format the data and give you the correct logic levels, unless your FPGA has differential transmitters on it.

Why do you want to do this? Just buy a normal VGA LCD monitor, they're cheap. You can easily create a 1 bit VGA display with the proper H and V sync signals in an FPGA.

These types of projects are an enormous waste of time.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Its either a JST or a Hirose connector. Looks more like a Hirose DF9 series. Check

, Digikey might stock them too.

Martin Riddle

LDI.http://www.national.com/analog/displays/open_LDI

Agreed :) I believed I have all the required equipment (the FPGA kit, the panel iteself), so I thought I can do something with the panel instead of throwing it away. From the next post, it seems like I might be able to find the connector after all. Will post here if I am successful.

Manjunath

Reply to
uforians

Thanks a lot for the reply. I checked out DF9, the maximum number of contacts in that series is 50 according to their catalog, whereas mine appears to have 60. I checked out the other series they have. DF12 series has 60 contacts, but I am not about the dimensions. Will have to do some measurements. Will post the progress here.

Manjunath

Reply to
uforians

Some more information on this post. The video card to which the laptop panel was connected to is a ATI Radeon 7500 card. The card is identified by the label DATM8UB1AC4 - Rev C. Here is a decent picture of the board I got by googling :

610.jpg

It shows the mate for the connector that I have. Also, any general suggestions for how else I can go about this project (getting the LCD panel to work) are also welcome.

Thanks, Manjunath

Reply to
keveman