Look at my Wave Generator, or "Garage Tek Introduces..."

--
I couldn\'t agree more!

That is, for me...
Reply to
John Fields

--- Why? So far, you win the asshole contest hands down and could probably be be tutoring generations of assholes to come!

You ask for comments, and then when you don't get the pats on the back you think you deserve and the raving kudos you crave so badly, you start to pout and blame everyone else but yourself for the errors you, and no one else but you, wrote into the spec's.

If you think you've got a winner, what do you care what anyone else thinks?

Keep your web site up, try to sell as many as you can, and maybe you'll get lucky and get rich.

Tell ya what, though, I wouldn't buy one.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--
You might want to also post your query to misc.business.product-dev.
Reply to

For $300 you can get a DDS-based sine/square/triangle generator with a proper spinner knob and lcd display, whose output is settable to within a few mHz of any desired frequency up to 5 MHz.

AND that product has a marketing/distribution chain.

Nothing like having contempt for your customer base!

John

Regarding the asshole contest, I wasn't looking for pats on the back, what I was looking for was in the original post.

Then the techno wizzards come zooming in on 50 ohms and currents, not realizing that it was all taken out of context of what it actually is, and misses the whole point... its a functional unit of some capacity .. this isn't a flipping debate over ohms law, the internal impedance of the device is not uniform across frequencies.. but enough to call it a low impedance device and expect it to drive a coax near 50 ohms without ringing and such effects, at DC it seems more like 28 ohms, at 1 MHz it could be 90, but at 500 khz when its square it close to 50.

This wasnt a conversation about errors, but numerous jerks insist on being jerks .. whos purpose for living is only to talk about their misunderstanding as a platfrom fror abuse.. like most americans were raised to do.

I never said one thing that wasn't accurate either, but of course, since assholes are everywhere the conversation was only about ohms law.

Tell ya what, I wouldn't sell you one.

Reply to
engineer

Also, for you ELECTRONICS BLOODY WIZARDS, 400 mA current output is what it does, but for the ouput amplifier to source or sink xxx mA, it could be driving an active load which is pushing a 40 volt signal back, and in that case it were stable i could say it was rated at 10 amps if that were the case and still be correct.

As for the rest of the asshole attitude, piss off

Reply to
engineer

Who are you calling an ass-hole? You asked for comments about the appearance and I gave one, and given what else has been written, I think I was pretty bloody polite! The range numbers make no sense so get rid of them, they're a distraction.

And since you clearly want the $$$ question answered, I don't think the box is worth the dollars you've spent in components. Not your fault per se, but you clearly don't have bulk buy advantages.

You're falling into the same trap as many an 'entrepreneur' who builds something they think is the bee's knees and gets all hurt and offended when they can't find a market for it, can't get an appreciative audience (usually due to the former) and/or can't sell it because it's too expensive for whatever market there actually exists (leading to the previous two results).

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Nothing like having contempt for your customer base!

Like Microsoft.. Imitating the giants.

and the $300 unit does NOT run on a 9volt battery and fit in a large pocket.

again, whats the point of getting the point when being an asshole is all that interests you

Reply to
engineer

Hope you realize the market for a 555 in a box was in 1975. Don't bet the mortgage on this business model, ok? HINT: Use a PIC 12C508 and you can have the whole thing done in code. But you knew that making anything these days without a microcontroller is stupid, right?

HINT 2: Calling yourself "engineer" with your "abilities" could get you into hot water in some jurisdictions... Like getting sued for using a reserved title.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Time to call whatever school you went to and ask for a refund. Unless they declared bankruptcy and burned down the buildings so no one knows you went there...

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

and 250 mA is near the edge of the rated watts for the driving device, which doesnt have to be sot23 but is presently

Reply to
engineer

I'd buy bigger pants, just so I wouldn't have to buy your crap.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Who wants to put a square wave generator in a large pocket? Hmmm... let's not go there.

There are multifunction process calibrators/DVMs that do fit into a normal pocket. In addition to a lot of other functions, many of them will produce a precise frequency output, for calibrating tachometer-type devices, flow meters, stuff like that. If I had one of your gadgets, presumably I'd have to carry a frequency counter in my other pocket. You might offer an accessory product line, sportswear with lots of pockets.

Well, you don't inspire me to wish you success. But really, thousands of people design products like this, from a technology perspective "this is what I can build" without a lot of thought about who would buy it or how it would be marketed. Maybe one in ten thousand is successful. After all, how many GarageTek type products do *you* buy?

This is one of the rare successes, because the product is seriously good, meets a real need, and the guy is cool:

I've bought several of his LC meters.

John

_You_ don\'t get to make that choice, _I_ do, unless you\'re in
business to _lose_ money.  So far you\'re batting 1000.  An American
expression I\'m sure you understand.

Also, why don\'t you learn to post like everyone else around here and
leave some context in your message so we can all see who you\'re
replying to?  Or is that asking too much of your ability to use
Google properly?
Reply to
John Fields

--- Actually, what's _your_ point?

You asked some questions, you got some answers.

If you didn't like them and you don't care for our attitudes, then just leave. I don't think any one at all is interested in your whining, and your technical acumen sure leaves a lot to be desired.

So why not make it easy on yourself and just get the hell out of here before you _really_ get hurt?

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

--- Blah, blah, blah.

If you want to talk tecnical, post your schematic. Oh, wait, you can't... Google can't get you access to a binary newsgroup.

Oh, well, then, just shut the hell up.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

PLEASE don't feed the trolls. What a jerk.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

It's very easy to assume you know the whole picture. What I object to among people in general is when presumption is a basis for abuse, even subtle abuse.

You assume I haven't thought this through at all, but you assume I don't have some decent gear for the cause of technical progression, getting into cplds and next fpga, ideas for different useful things, or reasons why I prefer one approach over another. What does one person like sports and the other painting? Who cares? What I wonder is why people march for the right to boink each other but not to stop the barbarism of industrialized killing machines like the usa... I may like my opinions, buy they are as arbitrary as what the fool who carries the gun for big oil believes. he has his reasons and I have mine.. my reasons involve more brain cells but he would think the same.

Even the idea I have that you might be interested in enhancing your perspective is presumptious, so the point of the lecture is to amuse myself.

Having a dozen buildable, usable, decent things out there is part of my plan.

Taking direction from evolving interest activities is a plan that requires less planning to do. Aerospace grows and music sythesizers wanes, and I get out of the way and enjoy the new area, maybe later I'll make an out of this world music sythesizer using some concepts developed while dealing with motion.

Reply to
engineer

I went to a decent school, they covered the subjects, they were pretty thorough. I knew a lot more than my classmates because I was really into electronics... unlike the people who say, went to MIT, who are just in it for some kind of strange glamour effect plus some meal ticket. If I were one of them, by now I'd be an aging codger with little left on my mind but how to cope with my fading eyesight so I can annoy more people one the internet tomorrow.

Reply to
engineer

And the fact that we saved you money and countless embarrassements with face-to-face customers is lost on you? At best, I'd laugh in your face. At worst, some guy might get real pissed at you. PS: "Tek" is short for Tektronix, a company for which you wouldn't even be fit to scrub the toilets. Just another thing to think about before the lawyers knock on your door. "Tech" is short for technology.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1