Persistence of Vision (without moving the lights)

Does anyone know about or can point me in the right direction for timing information on persistence of vision systems that don't rely on something spinning or being waved around in the air? I have seen a couple commercial systems that had a single stationary column of lights that when you turned your head would project 2D images into your peripheral vision. Look at them head on and they don't seem to have any special picture but start to look away and for a fraction of a second you would see the image of a cactus or a cowboy boot, etc. (This was at a Mexican restaurant.) I've found lots of pages that describe a column of LEDs spinning through the air and the timing for that seems trivial since it's all position based and does not need to be hard coded into a controller. But so far I'm at a loss on scanning information for the type of system described above. Any leads? Thanks in advance!

-Will

Reply to
larkmore

So, drive the LEDs from a counter and ROM and driver, instead of a position encoder or something?

Obviously, it's just about impossible to set it up so it will always show an image of some width and orientation (i.e., mirrored or correct) when any person's head or eyes turn to see the blurred-out "animation".

Tim

Tim Williams

Having done some work in this area, I know that blurring is not really a problem.

All thats required is the eyes be focused at some distance out, and the source moves across the retina or vice versa, and the lighting conditions be favorable (LED can't compete with sunlight)... and some millisecond-order (minimum) flash events.

Moving eyes catch these events, or stationary eyes catch such moving objects, like a dot matrix printer.

The eyes will hang onto short events up to 1/4 second or so .. this is ''persistence of vision" .. long enough to piece together the growing context of the greater event (making a few allusions to a project in a box here)

Reply to
engineer

speaking of this.... anybody notice how annoying the new LED car brake lights are when they are dimmed by PWM.........

When you turn your head you see the dashes of light....

there should be a law....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Same with those advert signs on the perimiter of football fields, when viewed on TV,

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hmmm...nice idea for a project. Use LED car brake lights to send rude messages to tailgating swine behind you...but only when they turn their heads quickly so they can't really be sure that they weren't imagining it. It could be a big seller.

Ken Muldrew