Sine wave generator

Hi,

I need to design a simple variabel sine wave generator up 100kHz. Does anyone know of single chip solution? If nt any ideas how to design one with minimal chip count?

Thanks a lot

Joseph Zammit Malta

Reply to
jozamm

In message , dated Tue, 15 Aug 2006, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

You can do it with one op-amp that has a gain well over 3 at 100 kHz. Google for 'Wien Bridge'. The problem is not getting it to oscillate but controlling the amplitude so you don't get a clipped sine wave. There are many ways of doing it; the best, but costly, is a vacuum thermistor bead. You can use a FET as a voltage-controlled resistor.

It won't do 0 to 100 kHz in one range, though. If you want that (I can't think why), Google for 'Exar function generator'. but it's not as much fun as the Wien bridge solution.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

In message , dated Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Luhan writes

You don't learn anything much from using one of them. And it costs far more than an op-amp, probably as much as a bead thermistor.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

If you want an "almost all digital" solution, Analog Devices has microcontrollers with built-in DDS generators that will easily meet your specifications. (See:

This is probably serious overkill, however, and certainly not the cheapest solution and nowhere close to the lowest power. The main benefit over, e.g., a wien bridge is that you simply program the output frequency with a digital word, and the result is as accurate as your (e.g., crystal) clock source (if accuracy was unspecified, a crystal is generally considered "far more than accurate enough, with no calibration or drift to worry about...").

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

A software DDS running on a suitable MCU and DAC should be suitable. An AT90S2313 clocked at 10 MHz should be able to manage 100 kHz.

Leon

Reply to
Leon
** Groper alert !!

** Variable by what means ?

A knob?

A control voltage.

A light beam ?

ESP ???

** Tell us what is the actual problem first.

Or be condemned to hell for eternity as another TROLL.>

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Search around for the tiniest incandescent lamp you can find -- if you can find a 6V grain-of-wheat bulb you can use that for the resistive element. I suspect a small thermistor stuck in foam would work almost as well as the vacuum thermistor, and possibly better than the lamp.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

===================================== I recall Mr Hewlitt and Mr Packard made a Very Able sine wave oscillator back in the day... in Palo Alto as I recall....

Reply to
BobG

Yes, the 8038

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

need a bit more info:

variable over what frequency range? Continuously variable? By ranges? Down to 0.001 Hz?

How stable in amplitude and frequency? How good a sine wave? What percent distortion? What output voltage? What kind of load?

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

In message , dated Tue, 15 Aug 2006, BobG writes

Yes, but amplitude control by incandescent lamp is possible with valves/tubes, but not with normal op-amps.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Wien bridges aren't super easy to control the frequency on. A quad op-amp version of the 3 opamp "state variable" oscillator may be a better option for the OP.

I will even try to ASCII art draw it

R1 /+!---GND ---/\\/\\--+---< ! ! ! \\-!-- ! ! R3 ! ! ---/\\/\\--+ ! R2 ! +--/\\/\\--+---/\\/\\/-- ! ! R4 +---!!---+ ! C1A ! C1B R5A ! ! ---!!--- --/\\/\\-+-!-\\ ! R5B ! ! ! ! >---+----/\\/\\----+-!-\\ ! ! GND--!+/ ! >---+ ! GND-!+/ ! ! ---/\\/\\---+----/\\/\\---------------- ! ! R6 ! R7 ! ! /-!---- --+-< ! \\+!---GND

Normally:

R6 = R7

R1 > 5*R5

R2 = 0.8 * R1

R3 = 1.3 * R4

R5A and R5B can include a POT like this:

---- ! \\ /

Reply to
Ken Smith

In message , dated Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Ken Smith writes

Indeed, it's better but not 'simpel', which was the spec.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

"John Woodgate" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

Never seen an opamp Wien bridge controled by incandescent silicon?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

In message , dated Wed, 16 Aug

2006, Fred Bartoli writes

No, I use a current-limited power supply. For incandescent silicon, you need 1 kW audio amplifiers, or 5 kW lamp dimmers.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

For oscillators my gyrator BP works best... behaves just like a real tank.

...Jim Thompson

Sherman, or Panzer? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A microcontroller with an 8 bit (R2R) DAC.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

In article , Fred Bartoli wrote: [....]

I work with someone who invented the "light emittng PROM". Way back when EPROMs had a window so you could erase them with UV.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith