Linux sucks

It is on a volume. It is merely a compressed and/or encrypted volume. Like you said, a file.

cloop is a nice utility. Knoppix used it. Don't know if they still do. They switched a couple releases ago, but I cannot remember from what to what.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

I almost said the same thing.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

One of the advantages of Windows 7 and Vista is the built in ability to save a complete system image and restore directly from the install disc, a la Norton Ghost. Windows XP is really getting to be a dinosaur compared to Windows 7 and some of the Linux distros, and I think that if one absolutely has to run it it's best consigned to a VM, unless there is some particular piece of hardware that is essential for the machine's purpose and doesn't work with the VM passthrough.

Reply to
Bitrex

Yes, but the French always cut corners when it comes to electronics. Just look at car reliability lists. French cars are always at the bottom. If you order crap from a manufacturer you'll get crap.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

In fact I was in an MD11, certainly it was outfitted only lately and the same happened. It seems to be related to the carrier not the plane.

Reply to
Ban

Allways a compelling argument that one. Pehaps that's why so many people use it.

Solid state drives or regular old hard drives.

At the end of the day, any medium that is capable of being written can be written in error, or as the result of a malicious act. Short of physically removing the write circuitry from a HDD, you cannot obviate the possibility that the data on the disk will be corrupted in a way that is not subsequently detected by the hardware, but instead manifests as strange software behaviour.

My IT dept?

Where did I say I was blaming Microsoft? Do you think that "after" means "as a consequence of" ?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Bwuahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahaha!

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

So after reading this whole thread so far, it looks like the error messages are the result of the unit being deprived of a server/drive.

That's probably not an OS problem.

The application programmers likely could have converted the somewhat cryptic file error messages into a more human suggestion that the server is not available.

That the crew even BOTHERS to try to get it to work implies that it sometimes does work, meaning it's a reliability issue.

Is it the application software people's fault if there are problems accessing a networked drive?

Perhaps a network might help for the output to the multiple screens on the plane (working apparently) but why would they want the head end to be dependent on a server that seems to be so unreliable?

If this had been a Microsoft OS computer there is no guarantee that the error messages would be much less cryptic.

Regardless of the OS, Why is the builder/airline tolerating such crap?

What is the topology and how would this work if it was working correctly?

Would every monitor on the plane be playing the same movie at the same time or would it allow for more choices and timing?

If done in Linux there would likely not be an OS license/charge for every workstation like there would if it was MS based, right?

Reply to
Greegor

"Greegor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...

No, they made it work after 20min. IMHO the pilots probably had to switch on a supply for the Video server or something that is shut down on ground. The system is quite sophisticated, you can choose between lots of movies or games and when there are announcements it stops and switches over, you can stop the film to eat and continue.

Reply to
Ban

And how many of those have been posted as compared to similar conditions=20 M$ systems failing? 10,000:1? Try stupid operators suck instead.

Reply to
JosephKK

G > So after reading this whole thread so far, it looks G > like the error messages are the result of G > the unit being deprived of a server/drive. G >

G > That's probably not an OS problem. G >

G > The application programmers likely G > could have converted the somewhat G > cryptic file error messages into a G > more human suggestion that the G > server is not available. G >

G > That the crew even BOTHERS to try to G > get it to work implies that it sometimes G > does work, meaning it's a reliability G > issue. G >

G > Is it the application software people's G > fault if there are problems accessing G > a networked drive? G >

G > Perhaps a network might help for the G > output to the multiple screens on the plane G > (working apparently) but why would they G > want the head end to be dependent on G > a server that seems to be so unreliable? G >

G > If this had been a Microsoft OS computer G > there is no guarantee that the error G > messages would be much less cryptic. G >

G > Regardless of the OS, Why is the G > builder/airline tolerating such crap? G >

G > What is the topology and how would this G > work if it was working correctly? G >

G > Would every monitor on the plane be G > playing the same movie at the same time G > or would it allow for more choices and timing? G >

G > If done in Linux there would likely not be G > an OS license/charge for every workstation G > like there would if it was MS based, right?

Ban > No, they made it work after 20min. IMHO the Ban > pilots probably had to switch on a supply for Ban > the Video server or something that is shut Ban > down on ground.

I suppose it's a nuisance for the flight crew but then I assume they WANT the ability to power off the server on take off. Perhaps the power to the server and the power to the workstations should both be on the same switch?

Ban > The system is quite Ban > sophisticated, you can choose between lots Ban > of movies or games and when there are Ban > announcements it stops and switches over, Ban > you can stop the film to eat and continue.

That actually sounds really slick!

JosephKK > And how many of those have been JosephKK > posted as compared to similar conditions JosephKK > M$ systems failing? =A010,000:1?

Good point.

JosephKK > Try stupid operators suck instead.

Airline flight crew shutting down server but leaving workstations powered?

If shutting down server is advisable during take off, then why leave the workstations powered up?

Is it that a parked hard disk takes the bumps better than when the head is flying?

How would you ruggedize all of these LCD monitors to withstand all of that vibration and every bumpy or hard landing?

They can't get away with stock equipment for this kind of thing, can they?

Sorry, this accidentally crept back into the engineering realm! LOL

Reply to
Greegor

Greegor wibbled on Wednesday 03 February 2010 05:57

When I flew Boeing 777's to Oz from the UK, I don't recall the in flight film system being based (obviously) on linux - it booted straight to a splash screen, then to the menus (though of course linux could be made to do that).

Anyway, the crew couldn't start up every screen at once, they had to do it in batches (quite slow to cover all seats) which implies that either the fileserver or the LAN for these things is spec'd only to cover normal running load and has little excess capacity for high peak loadings, for either supplying the end device boot image or for the flurry of activity when the thing wants its initial film list or whatever.

Given that the amount of data likely to be wanted in common should be quite a small subset of the fileserver capacity and could easily be addressed by more CPU and RAM (for filesystem cache) at the server end, I wonder if it's a network limitation. My gut feeling is gigabit ethernet could trivially handle the 220 odd seats on a 777, so perhaps they skimped on that?

If they were really clever, they'd broadcast/multicast the boot image and initial start up files then they wouldn't have any issues with load either on the network or the fileserver.

Didn't have any problems on the last leg (De Havilland Dash 8 Turboprop), in flight entertainment was a newspaper and they parallelalise very efficiently ;-)

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

I dunno; Windows BSOD messages are pretty cryptic, and this is on a similar level (it's failing early in the boot process).

It's anyone's guess as to where to pin the blame. Any non-trivial boot sequence (i.e. anything using initrd) is written by the distribution vendor. Did the system vendor use a stock distribution or build their own? Either way is a possibility.

Lowest bidder?

My guess: thin client with network boot. Client contains BOOTP/DHCP and TFTP clients and nothing else. Client gets an IP address, loads the kernel via TFTP, loads initrd (initial RAM disc, = temporary root filesystem containing only the tools required to complete the boot process) likewise, then mounts the real root filesystem via NFS, SMB/CIFS or NBD (network block device).

When it works, it's great. You don't need any local drives, the only code on the client is 8K of 8086 asm (for a PC) in a boot ROM which plugs into the NIC, everything else is on the server. Makes administration easy, but if the network goes down, nothing works at all.

Depends upon the capacity of the network and the servers. It makes no difference to the client if the video stream is unique or broadcast.

Depends. The kernel, the system tools, the media player (VLC? Mplayer?), etc don't have per-seat licence costs, and you could easily build such a system without using any other components. Not sure what the deal would be with MPEG (etc) licensing; may depend upon the patent laws in the country of registration of the airliner.

Reply to
Nobody

Possible, especially if they are diskless.

Very much so; however, a running OS is usually writing=20 log files all the time. It takes hibernate to park the=20 heads.

Probably don't need to. Look at all the handheld stuff=20 with LCD screens, phones, games, media players, ebooks, etc.,

Maybe. Some careful engineering would be needed, and apparently=20 is not always included.

Reply to
JosephKK

JosephKK wibbled on Thursday 04 February 2010 04:42

Although, with *nix, you are very much in control of that. I've had linux boot off read only NFS, mount all of the bits it needs to write to onto TMPFS (Ram) filesystems. Logs could be redirected to flash if they are that important. Temporary files stay in RAM. cf "Live CDs" of various distros.

It would be very easy to have the server running and have a "takeoff" mode where it quiesces and spins down the disks until told it is allowed to awaken.

Though whether there is any point as boot times are a minute or two is another question ;->

If I were designing the media streamer for an aeroplane, I'd have removeable Flash for the OS and (possibly removable) hard disks for the films.

Life is a lot easier if the machine reliably boots and removable Flash makes OS upgrades trivial. I don't know what procedure they currently use to add new films, but the option to slot in a new disk's worth, and reload the old disk on the ground I suspect has some merits.

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Airbuses have been very safe. Just because there was a crash of one a while back doesn't make them unsafe.

Boeings have crashed as well.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

You really do not understand the "Ford / Chevy" thing do you?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Has anybody worn out any flash memory yet?

Reply to
Greegor

Well it could be worse... from the cockpit: ERROR: ENGINES NOT FOUND. SYSTEM HALTED

Michael

Reply to
Michael

tember.org...

snipped-for-privacy@news.siol.net...

september.org...

s:X_WdnYGo4ddZPvrWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

ies for the whole plane. =A0However, watching their attempts

BTW, the TV remote control had some bugs as well.

after half an hour. Good films tho, "angels and demons" w.

Just saw that--could hardly tell it from "The Da Vinci Code." Really-- I kept wondering if we had the wrong DVD.

Neither's "Much Ado About Nothing," so to speak, but of the two "The Da Vinci Code" gets the nod. (Ban'll like it too.)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat