Places to visit in Amsterdam and Brussells

Hello, I am planning to visit Amsterdam and Brussells in July '08 for a week. What places you would recommend to see for these two cities? Thanks Ashok

Reply to
Ashok Chotai

In Amsterdam, I would recommend visiting the Anne Frank House, where she hid during World War II. That is where she taught herself VHDL and programmed her first FPGA.

Alan Nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

It depends how much fun you want to have.

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Mikhail,

Please explain why you don't find that funny. Please.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

not funny :(

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Bob,

Do you REALLY need an explanation of an obvious idea or do you want to start a political flame here? Would you like to make a joke of this

too?

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Mikhail,

Alan was not making fun of what the Franks (or any other persecuted person) went through before, during, or after WW2. He was poking fun at the OP for making an off-topic post. His suggestion about visiting the Frank House seemed sincere, and he merely added an FPGA twist in an attempt to drive the thread toward on-topicicity.

It's akin to people not laughing at the Bavarian cream pie joke because they think it's making fun of a certain group of people. There's no truth to it. It's just a joke. I mean, what terminally-ill person flies all the way from the US to Europe for a piece of Bavarian cream pie, and when he get's there they don't have any, so he says, "Okay, I'll just have coffee." It's not making fun of anyone. It's just a joke.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

This is not really useful for FPGA's but MASER have a site near amsterdam. They do failure analysis and reliability testing. Sorry they don't do VHDL or verilog. Andy

Reply to
Andy Botterill

Bob,

I sure hope so, however you need to realize that what's funny for native English speakers is not necessarily funny for Russians or French, etc., and vice versa. In any other case I would say nothing, but there are certain subjects, which are a total taboo for making any fun of (or adding twists to them as you say) in the culture I grew up in... It is considered very low taste and insensitive.

With regards to the cream pie joke, it doesn't bother me much, probably because it's fiction not mentioning actual names. However, I don't find it to be very funny either...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Can we stop this silly thread. The OP told me that he posted this accidentally, by hitting the wrong button. No reason for us to perpetuate his mistake... Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

I apologize to anyone who found my post offensive.

I was, in fact, making fun of the OP for posting in the wrong newsgroup. I added a non-sequitur that was unbelievable in an attempt to be funny.

I stand by my recommendation, however. I believe we must study the past to keep from making the same mistakes in the future. I have visited the Anne Frank House several times, when I have been in Amsterdam to sell video equipment that I built using FPGA's.

Alan Nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

Well, in Amsterdam you have the red-light district which is a must-see. You won't find anything like it anywhere in the world. Before it is evening you can go to the Van Gogh Museum, the Rijksmuseum (which has the 'Nachtwacht' by Rembrandt on display), take a boat tour through the canals, visit the Anne Frank house if you want to lose your appetite, shop around, have dinner in an Italian restaurant near the 'Leidseplein', look at the street artists.

Stay away from restaurants near the Dam square / Damrak.

You could also visit Marken or Voldendam for more souvenirs and fish.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

English speakers is not

case I would say

any fun of (or adding

very low taste and

It might be a small world but this shows that we're all (slightly) different.

I grew up in Belfast during 'the troubles' and almost anything could be (and was) subject to ridicule. This 'black' humour was used by many as a coping strategy.

I smiled at the reply to the original post and I'd agree that Anne Frank's house is worth a look.

Nial

Reply to
Nial Stewart