Light Bulb "Medium Base"

I guess you showed'em. :-) Congratulations... any big plans (fancy vacations, Mariachi bands, dancing dogs...) for the actual anniversary in six weeks?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Not yet. I need to check with the kids and see what they're up to ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I was talking about finger oils.

Reply to
life imitates life

"life imitates life" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes, touching the high temperature quartz envelope of Tungsten/Halogen or arc lamp capsules is a definite no-no. The oil on your skin get on the envelope and if not removed may cause the lamp to explode. The oil darkens from heat and UV, absorbs more heat locally and resulting imbalance of thermal stresses causes the envelope to burst. Particularly troublesome with Xenon lamps that are under about 10 atmospheres pressure at operating temperature. Even with the envelope cleaned after an accidental touch, I've seen finger prints etched into the surface.

Reply to
Oppie

Those are just the bouts of dementia.

Reply to
ian field

Try dunking a lit halogen bulb (H4 etc) in a bowl of water and see what happens.

Reply to
ian field

Speaking for yourself, Ian ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, it looks like that one zipped right over his head, eh?

Reply to
life imitates life