Surfing on a wave of light

You've seen sampling high-speed oscilloscopes. How about a sampling moving camera? This one is is fast enough to see a beam of light in slo-mo:

J.A. Legris

Just another PR event from the MIT promo machine.

We build digital delay generators that go inside ICCD cameras that have 1 ns shutter speeds. They are routinely used in stroboscopic mode, so they can make photos of a flash of light spreading across a scene.

MIT does this sort of thing constantly. Very little ever comes from these stunts.

John

Yeah hardly any content in the video. But it sounds like a streak camera, (which is hardly a new invention.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yep. Actually most of my technician time at MIT's Building 20 was building instrumentation and controls for a "smear" camera (a high speed rotating mirror "panning" the image onto a film strip)... 52 years ago.

But I'm sure modern sensor techniques have improved the technology.

The MIT Media Lab is at the very forefront of video and imaging technology.

But I'm sure old DeVry-Head-Up-BU-butt will still go out of his way to _attempt_ to annoy me... but he doesn't... it amuses me that I evidently still get so very much under his skin :-)

Though I still wonder... how can Larkin be so arrogantly and narcissistically ignorant? ...Jim Thompson

Wrong!! They get grant money, investments, etc....

Reply to
Jeffery Tomas

So did Solyndra :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

JT thinks MIT can do no wrong, because he went there 96 years ago.

They sure did wrong when they taught him electromagnetics.

John

Was that for Doc Edgerton?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Nope. For Professors Woodson and Jackson and graduate student (and EE dept-head-to-be, and good friend) Jim Melcher...

Application: MHD instrumentation... hydrogen shock wave constricted by a magnetic field.

I also did a lot of ignitron, thyratron designs to dump capacitor banks and 6HP DC motors into a single-turn coil made of copper (or aluminum) stock, 1/4" thick, 4" wide... parallel-plate transmission line... thousands of amps at 30kV from the capacitor bank :-) ...Jim Thompson

A defibrillator for Paul Bunion? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

What would happen if they observed a 2-slit experiment with it?

Or something like that?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I've not seen any of these particular experiments, but at an MIT "mini-reunion" (southwestern states) in Costa Mesa, the video demonstrations by the MIT Media Lab were truly astonishing... coming soon to your cable TV system ;-) ...Jim Thompson

What is it? It'll be interesting to see which provider does it first.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

3D without glasses. ...Jim Thompson

Maybe something like this:

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Great, and the method seems to be different although there isn't much detail about how it works.

Doing it with the camera would require something to reflect the light, like a fog, but it would still be interesting to see it.