BJT Base emitter cutoff

How does one know the minimum current that can be used to program the base current for a bjt? Is it the base cutoff spec?

I'm trying to figure out the maximum pullup resistor I can use for a npn common collector and still have relatively unity gain.

The 2N2222 datasheet hast he Base cutoff at 20nA and the Emitter cutoff 10nA.

Does this mean that if these currents are not flowing then the bjt is not going to work as intended? Either base resistor is too large and/ or emitter resistor is too large?

20nA seems a bit small? I could use a 1M ohm resistor connected to 10V which would give me 10uA to supply to the base and it would have over 500 times the necessary current to drive the base? Likewise I could use a 1M ohm emitter resistor and not have to worry about the emitter follower being cut off?

What happens to an emitter follower when there is not enough base current to bring the base emitter diode into full conduction? Do we still get the emitter following the base exactly with just a smaller diode drop between them or do we lose something in the process such as gain?

Thanks

Reply to
Archival

This sounds very confused. I've crossposted it to s.e.b, which is the right place for it. I think it'd help if you drew the circuit out, including full details of what youre feeding in and what load you're using.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

The transistor can be modelled as having an intrinsic emitter resistor re =

26mV/Ie where Ie is the emitter current. For small emitter currents, re is large. re forms a potential divider with the parallel combination of your external emitter resistor and load resistance. So you lose gain and load current drive capability.

Those cut-off currents in the datasheet are collector-emitter leakage current and base-emitter reverse leakage when the transistor is on the off state.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

The base current is not a good repeatable parameter; usually there's a broad range of allowed values for one collector current, in the specification sheet, often expressed as the forward beta :==I_collector / I_base

As for the '2N2222' data, you'll find most available transistors are '2N2222A' or PN2222A; find other data sheets. Base cutoff relates mainly to high temperature and high voltage bias operation (it's the collector-base leakage current) .

Reply to
whit3rd

What do you mean by "program" the base current? Why do you care about base current? Usually it is considered a parasitic effect or a load, and you're interested in collector or emitter current.

Define "relatively". I don't see that anywhere in my "Comprehensive Dictionary of Engineering Terms", although it is in Appendix A "Terms that lead to Trouble".

What's your intent? A BJT is just a device. What you want it to do defines your intent.

The emitter never follows the base exactly. And "full conduction" in a diode is an exceedingly slippery definition.

Back up. Tell us what you're trying to do, what circuit you want to use, and why you think it'll work. Then someone will either tell you that you're all wet, or how to modify your circuit (or your ambition) to get what you want.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

And those numbers are as useless of the proverbial appendages on the boar hog.

In Spice modeling terms, leakage degradation effects from the ideal logarithmic bipolar behavior are characterized by IS, ISC, ISE, NF, NE and NC. ...Jim Thompson

Transistors do stop acting like transistors below some minimum current level. If you really want your circuit to work properly down into the nanoamps or picoamps, you might want to look at the BFT25A, or even better, the BFG25AW. They're very fast, small geometry devices whose f_T and beta hold up much better than most others' at low I_C.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or use CMOS... it likes COLD ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Sometimes it's the collector current you care about, though, e.g. in some kinds of photodiode front ends, or when low power analogue is the order of the day. There are lots of things you can do with bipolars that are hard with MOSFETs, at least if you don't have thousands of them to play with. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Got any idea of betas at low currents?

I know that their leakages are absurdly low.

John

The AW is close to 75 from Ic of 1 uA to about 1 or 2 mA.

Click on data sheet:

Watch out for line wrap.

Reply to
John S

The AW is close to 75 from Ic of 1 uA to about 1 or 2 mA. ^^^^^^ BFG25AW

Click on data sheet at:

Watch out for line wrap.

Reply to
John S

They hold up way lower than that. I need to make a bunch of really boring 1/f noise measurements tomorrow, so I'll try measuring a few betas if I get motivated. That'll give me a chance to use my lovely $5 Keithley 410 micro-microammeter. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Fantastic! The data sheet curve didn't go below 10^-3 mA.

Your $5 meter is a great bargain, needless to say.

John

Reply to
John S

I paid $25 shipping, though. ;0

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ent

he

d...

That still counts.

I made $0.50 the one time I gambled. We celebrated with $6 hotdogs.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Dangnabit, I paid $150 for this one:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Keithley_1gig.JPG

John

Methinks you need to study electronics for at least a day..

Reply to
Robert Baer

No, it means that the BJT is working _exactly_ as intended, i.e., when there's no base current, there's very little emitter or collector current. That's why it's called "cutoff."

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If it's an ultra-high input impedance with somewhat definite output DC quiescent voltage, then the usual thing is to use a composite structure like so:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs