Laplace expression possible with LTSpice lossy transmission line?

I'm trying to model a lossy transmission line in LTSpice. I want the simulation to work up to about 15GHz and include skin effect and frequency-dependant dielectric constant of pcb traces and material.

I know that in LTSpice it's possible to include Laplace expressions in signal generators. I was hoping that it would work in their lossy transmission, too, but there's nothing in their help files and nothing online.

When I use the simple model statement it works well (along with the appropriate .param statement for R, L, and C:

.model BobLossyTLine3inch LTRA(len=3 R={RperInch} L={LperInch} C={CperInch})

However, when I try to include some type of Laplace expression for resistance or capacitance, I can't find anything that will work. I suspect there's no way to do it.

Has anyone had any success with this?

Thanks.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

{CperInch})

=3D

While we don't know much about LTSpice's internals, I suspect that the fractional exponents necessary to model lossy transmission lines are beyond its capabilities. i.e. there are no simple lumped-component models, which I suspect would be necessary for any spice to use.

I've done comparable things modeling fractional-exponent equivalents with "enough" RLC sections to make the approximation work. You might try that.

HTH...

Reply to
cassiope

Hi, Bob

If I recall correctly, a transmission line may be modeled as (*):

  • + |+ +| + + V1 E1 O F(V2,E1) O F(V1,E2) E2 V2

For an RLCG transmission line, you have s-dependent impedances Z while F has other s-dependent terms than exp(-s*T).

You may simulate the impedances and the controlled source with the Laplace functions on almost any spice.

(*) Google up: "method of characteristics" transmission lines

Pere

Reply to
oopere