R-core mains transformer problem

300W transformer that over 4 years of use, the secondary voltages are 10 percent lower than originally, at least. Measuring without full rated loading, so worse than that under load presumably. If the transformer was severely jarred, via its mounting bolts, could that open up the core closure and consequential drop in efficiency or some other R-core type generic reason for drop? will it get worse over more time?
Reply to
N_Cook

er

The iron in the core could rust. Stainless steel isn't much use as a core material.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Are you sure it has gone down by 10%? What are you measuring?

John

er

are you saying the sec voltage GRADUALLY reduced over 4 years or you just checked now and they are 10% lower then the last time you checked?

Is it one secondary or multiple?

Could be a shorted turn in one of the secondaries?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Either a shorted turn or a loss of permeability sufficient to drop the output voltage 10% would make the transformer get very hot.

John

er

Check voltmeter battery?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:30:35 -0800 (PST)) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

PS: I see you are in the UK. Some parts of the UK may still be moving from 240V to 230V. Did you check the primary volatge in the past and now?

Transformer volatges are set by the turn ratio. So logic says, if not your voltmeter, then your primary went down too.

Kong the King

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Aha! Now we know what caused global warming.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

10

that

other

?
300W wouldn't do it, unless perhaps it was all directed at a particularly potent prayer-wheel.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Yeah, all those rusting transformer laminations. As the world gets warmer, humidity increases and the cores rust faster. That is the long-saught AGW positive feedback mechanism.

That explains the O2 decline, too.

John

"Nutcase _Kook"

** No they are NOT and you have no evidence any such thing has happened.

Voltages marked on a PCB are not proof of your wacky assertion.

Quote from same lunatic 2 days ago:

" The one in front of me gives off various voltages and the associated DCs are marked on the overlay (no schematic available). All the DC voltages , amplifier but just quiescent no load, all the actual DC levels are about 10 percent less than the overlay marked DC. "

Go away.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

e 10

d that

e other

e?

At least it is original - just as implausible as ever, but not an explanation I've ever seen on a denialist web-site.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

that

other

What a grim old fart you have become... unless you always were that way.

John

Looks like you're in the UK.

UK mains voltages fluctuate. 10% isn't unusual, in fact, I believe it's permitted.

AIUI, the UK is having an unusually cold period. Voltages are likely down.

Could explain things. Have you measured the supply voltage? If not, go do it, measure the secondary voltage, calculate the turns ratio then come back and tell us whether you still think the transformer is NG.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse