Ladder Lift Hoist

Honey-do season...

Anyone have experience with lift hoists, variously labeled bicycle, kayak or ladder lift hoists?

I have 4 ladders I'd like to hang from my 10'6" garage ceiling. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

rope and pulleys?

Reply to
D from BC

That's what I've got. But the power hoists are nice and you can probably raise all 4 ladders ar once.

Take a look at the rack on which you'll be hanging the ladders and figure out how low the contraption will hang once pulled up to the ceiling. Also, take a look at how many winch cables and drums they've got. I figure it will take two cables (one on either end of the ladders) to pull them up level. A single cable will leave the ladders pitching back and forth if they are not perfectly balanced.

My neighbor had one of these with a single cable for raising the hard top off his Mercedes and stowing it. The damned thing would never balance quite right, threatening to scrape the hard top along the hood of his car as it tipped.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nope! Hammer and nails! Wise-ass!

I want to buy said device, but there seem to be all variety and price range, so I'm sure some are good and some are junk. I figured someone here would have some experience/comments/recommendations. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I already have ceiling-drop shelving with nice angle iron to bolt to.

My surfing finds complaints like that. Maybe someone knows of a brand that doesn't teeter-totter? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The fixed end? Pulleys and the winch?

I was thinking about the jig that the ladders will hang on that goes up and down on the ends of the winch cable. Of course, the details of the fixed ends will affect the final stowed height as well.

If you can't find one with a twin drum, you could use a single drum type and make a splice in the cable to operate both ends of the ladder rack uniformly.

+---+ ____________________________ | O_______________X________ o
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

A lot of people use 'Bike Lifts', You could use two for larger ladders. My ceilings are low, so I just press the ladder against the ceiling and wrap chains around it and hook it up to eyelets on the joists.

Rope and Pulley's also work fine ;D

Martin Riddle

Paul Hovanian mentioned fixed end - that's the way to go.

ehsjr

EXCELLENT idea!

I've seen big "J" hooks that would probably work in place of your 2 L's. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I just hung my extension ladder from the unfinished garage ceiling joists. Near (and above) the overhead door, I made a "U" bracket hanging from a joist. I put one end of the ladder in that bracket, then manually lift the other end, and secure it to another joist with a chain.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Bennett

I did something very similar. I made a wood box, that runs along the wall above the door, to take the legs of the ladders rather than the 'L' brackets. I have one rope and pulley for four ladders just to get them into position. I've put screw eyes in the ceiling in the appropriate positions for the pulley (with a snap carabiner so it's easy to move). They're positioned such that the rope pulls the ladder slightly towards the opposite wall to keep the ladder legs in the boxes. I then use short ropes with dog collar snaps, across the ladder frames, to keep the them in position. Works great.

Reply to
krw

Here's a suggestion:

(may be a bit overkill...)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Bennett

The choice of music was very good.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

I have a couple of these type

in my garage for keeping the bike out of the way. work great, only cost me $20.00 at local hardware store. The rope has to be pulled in one direction or a lock kicks in to keep the darn thring from dropping on your head. Once I figured out which way to feed the rope through I had no problems.

Reply to
admiralsmead

Back in Irvine, we had a couple of the bicycle racks, but they hung down vertically, so you either needed a really high ceiling, or to put them at the side where you didn't have to try and walk under them! They had two ropes and two separate lift pulleys, and a double pulley for the side...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.