Cheapy Capacitance Meter?

Recommendations? ...Jim Thompson

Ebay

Reply to
flipper

This one looks like it could be decent:

Some of the even cheaper meters only go up to 200uF, and are +-7% on the highest range! It also doesn't take a weird sized battery.

Reply to
Bitrex

-- Dave Platt AE6EO Friends of Jade Warrior home page:

I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!

Reply to
Dave Platt

Capacitor labeled...

VAX 334J 50V

0.33uF / 50V ?? ...Jim Thompson

Do you want to only measure the low frequency capacitance? At what frequency(s)?

Do you want to also measure the ESR?

What accuracy do you want?

How cheap is cheap?

Reply to
The Phantom

would be my guess. Looks similar in notation to silver mica caps. eg: J

Martin Riddle

I've had these for at least 24 years :-) ...Jim Thompson

Yup 'J' = +- 5% tolerance would be my guess.

Some multimeters have a built in capacitor meter.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

there's a schematic for one in the ARRL handbook,plugs into a DMM. won't handle electrolytics,large capacitances.

Some DMMs have a built-in cap meter.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's what I bought years ago - on Winfield Hill's recommendation.

I've been very happy with it.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Go with a cheapy multimeter. I assume that if you cared what characteristics of the cap interested you or if you cared whether it had enough resolution for small caps or enough range for power supply caps, or ...or... you'd have said so.

Many cap meters and dmms with cap functions don't range high enough or low enough for MY general use. YMMV.

Reply to
mike

Hey, this is Thompson. Very, very cheap.

John

Harbor freight, $12.95 DMM.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:01:25 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Make your own:

Jan Panteltje

Way to expensive for Thompson.

John

A 555 coupled via Cx to a diode pump & moving coil meter.

Reply to
Ian Field

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Build one yourself using a PIC, for instance:

Which seem to be derived from the
mentioned by Bill Sloman already.

If your analog mind cannot digest this digital stuff, dig up some 555s and use an analog meter for the display:

The latter is an old one I ever build myself. Even seem to have a PCB design somewhere.

A real cheap one is described here:

said to be a poptronics design.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Actually, an oscilloscope and a function generator will measure capacitance. Or just an oscilloscope.

John

I put one of these together yesterday. $11 + shipping. I did not pay for shipping because the total invoice qualified for free shipping.

Actually I bought 2 in error. I intend to make the second one into an AVR development board. I may need a new chip ($1.60) If this one is code protected...

It is a very quick build.

Reply to
W8CCW