John Larkin, Dremeling PCBs

No, cut trenches. You have to think backwards.

I wanted to put my Dremel into the drill stand and use an X-Y stage. Set the bit depth precisely and rig a foot pedal for up/down.

And then my Dremel burnt out again, after less than ten minutes light use from new. I was reluctant to reward the company by buying another.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

No vibration problem. My biggest issue is maintaining good depth, Z-axis control.

Awesome! Who's Lamont Cranston? Danke,

Reply to
Don

Who knows? The Shadow knows.

Reply to
whit3rd

When we were using RF ceramic hybrids in the 90's, I could do rework with new diamond grinder/cutter samples from my Dentist, that said he did not need. Come to think of it his last name was also Diamond. But 25k to 35k is slow compared to 65k RPM for needle-sized cutters.

I have a friend who made a mini CNC to cut gaps to route tracks on blank copper boards and mill slots and edges in PCB's. . He added a large axial coupler to get the tight smooth bearings he wanted for resonant-free routing.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

My oldest didn't finish high school until age 23 with adult education. Then went to work as a gaffer, roofer, finishing carpenter, and now built his own new millwork factory and office and expects to make $1m in his 1st year with custom kitchen awards and a good relationship with a Arch. firm with 30 designers . His custom design with software is only part of the job. It is fully integrated 3D CAD-CAM, Assy Sequence dwgs, MRB-II accounting software package used =by architects with work in the Okanogan and cloud server in Australia. So they can do a quick design quote with a simulation. Pre-paid or reimbursed. He's making me proud.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

If I can't Dremel a board, I just do a pcb layout and order some multilayer boards with vias and solder mask and all. That's easy nowadays.

lørdag den 5. november 2022 kl. 02.09.43 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

something like this:

give you a fixed Z and you can run the stylus against a straight edge to make straight lines

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Freehand under my Mantis is quick and easy. Sometimes I modify a prototype after the parts are installed, and it's all wired up to power suplies and instruments and would be a nuisance to move.

I had some vision issues that wrecked my depth perception, but that's getting better. The Mantis magnifier provides lots of working distance and startling depth perception.

I still draw schematics on paper, and freehand Dremeling has the same feel.

The Mantis has a hood you stick your face into.

It's great for probing small stuff too. And for taking pictures.

whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not the abrasive disc. The little "concrete saw". Yes, it too is "an abrasive disc", but not like the actual "grinding wheel" type in Dremel kits. And those bind up with copper and solder fast.

And yes "inside corners" are not for this. It is for the long runs. For the corners I use the high precision bur they sell that has a flat face.

It will get you in there for those last few bits of an inside corner. For stuff that is not too dense with adjacent traces, I go back to the old tape days when everything had rounded corners and no sharp "radiators" on traces. A bit more time consuming, but a less noisy board from an emissions POV. They have a conical end bit that might go a bit tighter.

And I did HV for a number of years, so pointy turns and nodes were not a good thing if high potentials were pushing electrons around past each other. You find a fab house that does not mess with your gerber data or switch up any of your layout's pads, etc. We had boards that had bare sections (no mask) and slots between nodes (HV Diodes and caps).

Even did buried slots to make little stripline variants. Put that in your frequency counter and smoke it. :-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:a197d762-e579-4613-949d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Somebody with the first name of Lamont and the last name of Cranston?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep, and quick turn and cheap, and if you go with that design, they'll ramp up for you at a better price too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A fictional someone, actually. Hear all about it here

whit3rd

He signed off his messages with "Mikek" and we've all seen that before.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Ya, I'm posting from my google groups account because I still haven't solved my F'ing Thunderbird problem. As I have said since I had a friend that spent most of his time installing dozens of different modified versions of Windows, "I want to use a computer not fix a computer." Mikek When I was a youngster, my best friends dad used the line "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!" And it stuck in my mind even though I don't think I have ever heard the show. But I do listen to a lot of old radio using an app on my phone. I like Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Johnny Dollar, Six shooter, Let George do it, Philo Vance, Richard Diamond Private detective and many more. I listen to much more old radio programs than watch TV. Anyone remember Eve Arden from "Our Mrs. Brooks" and many movies? She's a female actor from long ago that stays with me. Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston

Lamont Cranston snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

These are the times that try men's holes.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I received a chuck for my Dremal after installing it, I checked the run out and it is way to much, I put the collet back on, still to much run out. The runout is at the base of the shaft, the bearing has no play. By the time you get out an 1-1/4' from the collet it's worse, no wonder I have trouble hitting a dimple. The rubber vibration dampener on the rear bearing was deformed and allowed some wobble so I wrapped a couple layers of tape around it, that didn't help. I think I'm ready to buy a new Dremel tool, but I'll be testing run out first thing to decide if it's the one I'm going to keep.

Any other brands that you think are better quality? Mikek

Reply to
Lamont Cranston