Jim Williams

That's the problem, all this is very expensive and then often also slow. I'll have to dig out a filter synth software from the late 80's. Strictly DOS (had to fix the Borland error), blazingly fast, and does lots of weird architectures which I am going to need here.

Obtaining data for the system modules is tough, too. RF manufacturers are often a bit secretive. Once when they didn't want to release any internal phase and impedance data they called me back a few days later, probably to appease me because I had threatened to ditch their module. "Well, since you guys didn't release the data I measured it" ... "WHAT?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

This:

SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Of course! That very model is sitting here on my desk right now :-) ...Jim Thompson

Do you control that 'digitally' or do you solder with your feet?

(Running opposite direction)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

.

Here's a tool that doesn't need a soldering iron. Maybe just some alligator leads.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

"Digitally" of course...

From Merriam-Webster On-line:

"of or relating to the fingers or toes" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Back in the old days I bemoaned that universities didn't teach at least some elementary chunks of cost calculation and biz stuff. Now I bemoan that they don't teach much of real engineering anymore ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's not a soldering iron.

THIS is a soldering iron:

John

I've got one.

It has a boot up sequence, a sleep mode when idle and crashes occasionally. Perhaps I need to run a virus checker.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

No, no, _this_ is a soldering iron for real men:

Some of them came off the handle and you "parked" them over a coal fire to re-heat, then grabbed one. I still have some from my grandpa and those have longer sticks so the whole thing stays together while heating.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

(...)

Yeah, baby!

I use it's grandfather, the MX-500. It is a Very Nice tool.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I wonder if Jim would be pleased that a notice of his demise has morphed into a comparison of soldering irons.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

(...)

I can't speak for Jim, of course. I think he might've been pleased, though.

When I finally go, I hope that whatever brief mention of me *does* morph into the comforting babble of friends around a water cooler.

Jim was The Best Of Us and we will miss him for a very long time.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Absolutely the best. Once you try one, everything else is just junk.

Also, the DS1 is the best desoldering tool ever. For compressed air, I got one of the $99 Husky compressors from HD.

tm

Reply to
tm

I recall engineering economics. Sunk cost, that kind of stuff. Not particularly exciting material.

Reply to
miso

I think Jim was using a metcal in one of his videos. He would also be happy people are speaking geek, especially of the circuitry kind. I always cringe a bit when they mention software companies as technology. I look at software as mostly change for the sake of change, a new language every year when the old language was just fine.

Metcal has it's fan base, almost as rabid as the Apple fanbois. I wouldn't mind the cost, but they don't seem to be very reliable irons.

Reply to
miso

Not everything in education is fun but it still is needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

(...)

At the risk of appearing to be a Metcal Fanboi (1) The units are on a par with Weller WRT reliability. Tip changes are Real Fast, too.

The Talon claw is the Cat's Pajamas. You can quote me. :)

(1) I'd take that logo on a baseball cap any day!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I took an EE Economics course as an elective. It was a pretty good course. Some may recognize the prof, Paul Hudson.

Reply to
krw

But I've seen piles of busted Metcals at swap meets and surplus shops. In the day when Foothill was at Foothill, friends would prowl to find parts to piece together one functional Metcal.

Eh, I bought a Hakko not to long ago. Just too easy to buy one new and it seems to work fine for me. Metcals are pricey. I would have had to resort to an ebay purchase, and I know someone that got a dud Metcal from ebay.

Reply to
miso