Jedi Masters of Electronics

I have a friend who teaches EE at a junior college in Santa Cruz. Once in a while he sends me a promising kid as a summer intern, and I hired one full-time when he finished. We'll probably have another intern this summer. It's fun to stay in touch with education and culture through these kids. Sometimes they are actually useful.

John

Back in my GenRad days I'd read the classifieds for "student looking for summer job".

Hired several who ended up as regular employees after they graduated.

...Jim Thompson

e quoted text -

I think that for me I had to teach myself in the sense that I have had to take concepts and really wrestle with them by myself until I understand the topic.

On the other hand, I have had tremendous opportunity to work with other engineers over the years. I was REALLY lucky. My first job was working for a defense company (starts with R) and I started working with some older guys on RF and analog. I was just about the only "kid" interested in this stuff at the time. It was a little before the cell phone boom. These guys I worked with were at the tail end of their careers. Two of the guys worked on radar during WW2 and were members of the RAF (one was Polish national). I spent 4 hours doing work and 4 hours listening to war stories, and then went home and spent 4 hours studying all the stuff I didn't learn in school but realized I needed to know.

Those were the days!

Reply to
bulegoge

When its no longer fun, you turn into a Sloman clown, er clone.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:19:58 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote in :

When I was young and did summer jobs, I once worked in an American owned company, that had a German electronics engineer, he supervised me, and told all day long stories about German WW2 electronic designs. How good those were, etc.. It was a very interesting experience for me. Some stuff he told me about was pretty advanced too. All tubes though :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
[snip]

Elaborating:

I think circuit design is an art, you either have it or you don't. Clients who were already skilled designers certainly quickly picked-up on my bag of tricks.

...Jim Thompson

I doubt that Slowman was _ever_ a skilled circuit designer. A doobie maybe, but never a designer.

...Jim Thompson

Democrats are like cats...
They\'ll take a dump behind your couch and then feign ignorance

I call it art when I dodge the math and pick ballpark values that work. :) Very handy when working from the junkbox. I just look a part..nope. Another part...nope Another part... nope Then...yup good enough

It's even more artsy when a circuit can be described with a dozen or so simulaneous equations and I can still ballpark it.

'If it's not putty in your hand, you don't understand.' (D from BC) (I'm quoting myself???)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I have heard that they had some tube based radios that were remarkably small. As I understand it, the germans never mastered the X-band radar during the war. their airplanes had big antennas on them.

These guys told me that when an allied plane was shot down, the Germans went right for the X-band magnatron.

Actually the company I worked for perfected building magnatrons, which is how they made all their money in the war.

Reply to
bulegoge

Excess gain in the wrong places. Incomplete NFB. The internal nodes have slammed into the rails and latched.

Reply to
JosephKK

All real education is solo. If you do not do the work you cannot gain the understanding.

You did not use it correctly. The correct path (which i used) is to use your existing nice job as the work/education program job. End result, almost guaranteed good job reviews and good grades as a result of that.

Reply to
JosephKK

I would modify that a bit:

The education is solo

  1. between you and your books and
  2. between you and your experiences.

However, point 1 is based upon other people , through books, passing along their knowledge to you.

Reply to
bulegoge

Look again, I said the same thing, but in different words. It can't be any fun to be a sour old ass like him.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So we don't need schools? Or universities?

One can learn an enormous lot about circuit design by working with and listening to others. Many of those others are older and experienced and willing to share what they've learned. One lifetime isn't nearly enough to learn it all by yourself.

And often people working on a problem together learn together. That's not "solo."

John

I think corporations should create schools.. UIBM. University of IBM. Intel college. General Electric Institute of Technology. Texas Instruments University. U of M....University of Microsoft Jim's School of Tube Repair

Regular schools want your money. Corporate schools want your money and your brain in the company. :) I think a corporate school will do a better educational job. Afterward, free tuition if you work at the company for 2 years! :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Once upon a time that happened.

They called them "training programs".

I got my MS on Motorola's dime AND time.

...Jim Thompson

                  The truth is incontrovertible
                     Democrats may attack it
                 Ignorant Liberals may deride it
                   But in the end, there it is

                  - Winston Churchill (edited)

There are universities specific (or programs at uni) to learning the cell processor and development tools.

It did 8.5Gb/s on a 10Gb port. Getting 'near wire speed' like that is unheard of. The Cell Broadband Engine CPU is in our future.

I almost went OS/2 once (as an OS pursuit) I think the cell has real future though (as a CPU).

Knowing my luck, it will die as soon as I take it up. IBM will evolve it, and dump it(the old), and nothing I learned on the old will apply to the new, and I will have to pay to learn all over again. Damn. :-(

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Do you think that folks that knew how to go through all the steps required to forge and fabricate a titanium compressor blade for a jet engine just grew on trees in Cincinnati?

Who do you think the brits learned that they had to thaw the chicken first from?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Wow... a master's program in ground level debris removal technology. What will Motorola think of next?

Reply to
Hattori Hanzo

If you fathom yourself a humorist, don't give up your day job.

...Jim Thompson