freezing of electronics

I'm designing a product that involves freezing of every day car keys. The keys that will be frozen are obviously likely to include electronics.

Are there any components inside modern day electronic keys that are likely to be damaged by freezing?

Reply to
will_usher

"Freezing" meaning what temperature? -.01 C, or -40 C? Makes a huge difference. Consumer electronics (especially for the automotive industry) are probably good to -10 or

-20 C. Lower than that is the realm of milSpec parts...you know...the "gold-plated" stuff that is expected to work -100 to +95.

Reply to
webpa

Most commerical electronic components are spec'd at -65C to 150C, non-operating. But your assembly may not survive due to differential expansion resulting in fracturing of all kinds of things.

Al

Reply to
Al

I think lithium cells used in wireless remote key fobs are good down to around -40C.

Reply to
CWatters

I work and very often live in a very cold region of Canada. I have been up to places like Frobisher Bay, Bay Comeau, Ramouski, and others even more north. We have had some winters where the temperatures were down to below the minus fifties ( The keys that will be frozen are obviously likely to include

"Freezing" meaning what temperature? -.01 C, or -40 C? Makes a huge difference. Consumer electronics (especially for the automotive industry) are probably good to -10 or

-20 C. Lower than that is the realm of milSpec parts...you know...the "gold-plated" stuff that is expected to work -100 to +95.

Reply to
JANA

someone keeping them hidden on the outside of their car ?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts