ISS Irony

Yeah... he said that. That does not make it true or him correct, however.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

That is dumb too. What idiot wrote that?

In the void of space water is a gas.

They were damaged by water, but it was DOWN HERE, at the pad.

And any that remained upon entry into the vacuum of space may have damaged tiles simply from the gasification taking place.

Reply to
I AM THAT I AM

"Allow to fly".

That says that the tiles are wet ON THE PAD.

The only moisture left in space would be trapped moisture. Water UNDER the tiles can freeze and crack a tile.

The rest gasses out.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

That's what happens when it rains.

You snipped you own lines:

so I put them back for you.

You were wrong, as always.

John

It was meaningless tripe the last two times you said that dumb shit too.

Real engineers know how to operate any gear.

I'll bet you don't work on your own bike either. How sad.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

nooks and crannies are not entrapments.

The problem was with trapped water at the tile/epoxy/ship interface. Breaks there cause entire tile segments to release.

Easy problem to solve. Just impregnate them with aerogel.

It is only needed on the way up. Doesn't matter if it burns or boils out upon return. We'll stuff more. The weight is near nil. Perfect solution.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

component

I think you are mistaken, the unsymmetrical dimethyl hydrazine (USDMH) = and red fuming nitric acid (RFNA) hypergolic liquid combination has been used since the early Atlas/Agena days (early 1960s). For extra credit follow up through "hard starts". LH2-LO2 has other additional start considerations that make it non-useful for vacuum restarts.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Clouds of nasty RFNA coming toward your town is a very bad thing.

Causes you to change your procedures too... :-)

If you happen to be a maker of the stuff.

Battery plants could take a lesson from them. Or at least one.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

You really don't have two brain cells to rub together do you?

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

We should have built one as an experimental vehicle, without the expense of a cargo bay.

That would have been enough to teach us what we learned from the first shuttle - that it wasn't worth it. Then we proceeded to build a fleet of them because most voters like to see astronauts go up and don't have the wit to even care about discovery.

We could have had a constellation of Hubbles and an army of Mars rovers, and things we don't have at all like probes flying through Jupiter and swimming through Europa.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You're an idiot. Always an idiot, you are.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

I'd imagine that there's plenty of people who will give him a buck to go away.

Reply to
JW

orbit.

Yeah, I knew I was on real thin ice when DimBulb agreed with me.

Reply to
krw

orbit.

He's AlwaysWrong, which is remarkable, if you think about it. Even an idiot would be right now and then, purely by accident.

John

Hilarious. Playing with words, badly, to pretend that you are not AlwaysWrong.

How's the dollar-bill-magnet experiment coming along?

John

Tossing it in front of a moving truck isn't exactly 'giving it to him', is it?

Michael A. Terrell

He's more like the mouthy little rooster that wasn't afraid of the chicken hawk, even though he was completely defensless. Foghorn tried to keep him out of trouble, with little success.

Michael A. Terrell

The force water vapour can generate is strictly limited by its vapour pressure, and if the tiles were losing water by evaporation while in orbit, the rate of loss would be limited by the rate at which heat could flow into the tile to supply the latent heat of evaporation.

During re-entry the tiles got a bit hotter, and any residual water could have generated quite large forces when it got around to evaporating.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I don't suppose you ever heard of comets.

Mostly ice. Billions of years old. In space.

John

What kind of janitor hasn't heard of Comet? :)

Michael A. Terrell