Is there a Greenlee Chassis Punch...

Is there a Greenlee Chassis Punch that punches "keyhole" shapes?

To make things that can be hung on a wall? ...Jim Thompson

You might ask them tomorrow...

Jon

Jon

Not Greenlee, but...

Reply to
Martin Riddle

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

The wife wanted some wall shelves and I blind mounted the wooden brackets using some of these.

The fittings lined up with pan head screws into the studs.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Greenlee non-circle shape punches start around $200 and run up to $1000 depending on size.

If you are not making electrical chassis... or even if you are making electrical chassis... the tool you want for making small quantities of odd-shaped holes is called a "Hand Nibbler". Radio Shack sells one, as does Mouser, as does McMaster-Carr, etc. Cost is under $10 (Radio Shack type) to $20 (Adel type).

If you already have a circle greenlee chassis punch, use that to make the circle part of the keyhole and then go back in with the nibbler to do the straight parts. Easy.

And if you think that chassis punches are the only way to make round holes... may I introduce you to the Roper Whitney Hand Punch. Far more convenient when they do the job.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Thanks Martin. I squirreled away that URL. Never know when you might need something weird like that. The vendor seems to carry a lot of odd-ball punches and other metal working doo-dads.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Thanks, Glenn! I had forgotten that fitting type. ...Jim Thompson

Yep. After I posted, I realized I already have the tools to do that. I have several small Greenlee's, a nibbler, AND a hand punch ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Tim Shoppa expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@r40g2000prh.googlegr oups.com: ..

A related punch I've been searching for is one for punching out the odd shaped hole for a power chord socket.

I've used the nibbler but it seems to make a horrible mess of that. Fortunately, it doesn't show from the outside.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you need a fair sized hole to use the nibbler. at least 3/8",IIRC. and the nibbler cuts a 1/4" slot.

a great tool to have,though.

if it were wood,there's a plunge router bit for cutting keyholes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I know they exist because I once worked at a place that had one... but unfortunately I don't know where it came from.

(And it might have been really old -- that place had been around for many decades, and some of the tools were of World War II vintage, including a Rockwell drill press that still worked quite nicely!)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I think the power cord cut-out is called a "D"-punch. ...Jim Thompson

Often, it's easier to send the panels out for CNC punching, and cheaper to have the supplier make the entire panel in the first place (sometimes almost cheaper than buying a blank panel through distribution) and you can get the color or material (eg. stainless steel) that you want.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Even in hobby quantities of 1?

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Jim Thompson expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hmmmm, I'll have a little net looky.

Thanks, Warren

Reply to
Warren

Warren expounded in news:Xns9E48876261D04WarrensBlatherings@

188.40.43.230:

What I had in mind, was for punching holes for these:

45P4893-/23-470

(

)

A D-punch doesn't appear right for this.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Use A Greenlee Double-D punch, page 31 in the pdf catalog

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I read your post too fast. I was thinking of those snap-in strain relief's which require a D-shaped hole. ...Jim Thompson

Yes - see

Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett