Is it possible to reverse engineer capacitators, transistors, resistors, etc ?

You're probably thinking of this:

-- it was a very real problem!

A capacitor is just a pair of conductors that's being used to store a charge by virtue of a voltage (potential difference) being impressed across the conductors. Everything has capacitance, since being able to change the voltage across conductors implies that charges have to move around, hence there's always some "stored charge" whenever a difference in voltage exists between two conductors. (BTW, it's sometimes useful to assume the "second conductor" is off at infinity; mathematically this works just fine, and leads to typical undergraduate electromagnetics class questions such as, "What's the capacitance of the Earth?" Answer: Not very bloody much -- infinity is a long ways away!)

How well capacitors can store charge is related to things like the area of the conductors, their geometric orientation... and the material between them. Air is about as good as a vacuum at allowing charge build-up between capacitors; other materials can easily be 100 or 1000 times better than this; trying to build such a dielectric while making it last a long time, not change too much over temperature, age, etc. leads to some complex chemical formulations.

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

hardware:

capacitators,

me

it's

done all the time. Cap has electrolytic usually, and companies get a chemical analysis done on them

Reply to
dalits

I went and looked. alt.religion.kibology is still an active newsgroup.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

I suppose, but such components have been around so long that most of the designs are in the public domain.

Was that the manufacturer that sold inexpensive capacitors to computer motherboard makers, and the capacitors deteriorated within the first year or two? Maybe this was a different story, I didn't hear that the capacitor (or electrolyte) formula was stolen from another manufacturer, only that it was substandard.

Get any year/edition of the ARRL's Amateur Radio Handbook and read the first 100 or so pages, it covers capacitors and several other electronic components. You can search for and order it through this site:

-----

Ben Bradley

Hi,

As many of you in this newsgroup have told me, it's possible to reverse engineer integrated circuits etc.

I do have another probably last question about reverse enginering hardware:

Is it possible to reverse engineer the little components, like capacitators, transistors, resistors, and those kind of things ?

I once read a story about a "stolen" capacitor formula to produce them but the manufacturer didn't understand the formula completely or the formula contain flaws etc.

I think I saw a little part of the formula and it looked quite complex to me lol.

I don't know exactly what a capacitator is or how it works... but maybe it's more of a chemical thing ?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying